Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions about Methyl-Seq (Bismark)

Hi,

I'm quite new to epigenetics and DNA methylation data analysis, so many excuses in advance if my questions seem too naive or have already been answered elsewhere.

I was recently charged with analysis of Targeted bisulfite sequencing data of human patients.

Patients were sequenced on 3 different runs.
    They used Illumina's TruSeq MethylCapture EPIC Library prep kit (107 Mb, 3,340,894 CpG sites) and the sequencing was performed on a NextSeq 500. The data is paired-end (fastq R1 + fastq R2).

After the initial QC (fastQC) and adapter trimming (Trim Galore!), I aligned my fastqs on a reference genome (UCSC hg19). I used Bismark tool (0.19.0) for Alignment, Deduplication and Methylation calling.
    All patients were analysed with the same workflow.

What concerns me is a big difference of bismark reports between the runs (PDFs attached), especially the deduplication rate (75% for run1!) and CHG/CHH methylation (nothing for run2).

I don't really know what to make of this, and how much it will affect the downstream analysis. I'm very new to Methyl-Seq but the ultimate goal is to perform a case-control study to identify Differentially Methylated CpG Sites (I was thinking of using methylkit).

Am I doing something wrong or is it the problem with the initial data?

Any insight will be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Freg; 07-26-2018, 01:56 AM. Reason: Attachments

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses