No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one transcript many genes "chimeric"

The problem:
    I am trying to assemble the transcriptome of Belgica the antarctic midge. Some of our assembled transcripts are much larger than they should be, and they contain multiple genes . In the ones that I have dug into in depth, these genes are adjacent on the chromosomes of the draft genome. We have no reason to believe that these are biological in origin.

The situation:
    I am working with three lanes of RNA-Seq data from a solexa machine. We have about 35 million paired end reads (70M total). Each read is 76 bp. At the same time we have a genome assembly project that is not under my direct control. It is against this draft genome that I am attempting to assemble the transcriptome with tophat/cufflinks.

Has anybody run into this before. I have been pulling my hair out trying to tweak the input parameters of tophat and cufflinks in order to eliminate this. I have also tried filtering my reads. I accepted sequences where 75% of the sequence had a phred score of 38 or better. Both mates had to pass in order to be included.

I have found one or two threads on various forums and they were not very helpful. The most helpful idea anyone had was to contact the authors. I tried that, but I am not holding my breath. Their automated message (below) openly stated that they may not contact me back. nice. I really appreciate any help you guy and gals can give me.

Dear Tophat/Cufflinks User,

Your message has been received and will be forwarded to the appropriate project members. Due to the large numbers of e-mails we receive, a response may not be immediate. We focus first on high priority bug reports before answering general questions and sometimes do not respond to repeat bug reports when a fix is already in the works. In the meantime, please have a look at the links below, which may aid in answering your questions.

TopHat Manual: http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu/
    Cufflinks Manual: http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/
    SeqAnswers Forum: http://seqanswers.com/

Regards,

The TopHat and Cufflinks Teams
    Last edited by BugSeq; 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM. Reason: forgot to add the Cufflinks letter

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    Yesterday, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses