Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annotating RNA seq Data ?

I am trying to find out variants in RNA seq data.

I have the .bam files for the samples.

I will try and use Samtools and GATK to find out variants in RNA.

Now, as I am using Samtools I will be having .VCF files generated.

So, I was curious about can we annotate this variants using tools like annovar ?

if yes - Should I follow the same pipeline as we use to annotate DNA variants ?

if No - What are other tools or methods for annotating RNA variants ?

Thanks !

I've run RNA-seq variants through Annovar. My data included known variants that we have previously confirmed and Annovar was able to correctly annotate these variants. This was also done using Arabidopsis, so I had to prepare my own databases. As long as your coordinates all match up, you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

As you said, you worked on known variants- I would like to know that whether you worked on Human samples ? Also, you said you did same with Arabidopsis (RNA seq data) for which you had to prepare your databases. So, I am sure that the first sample for which you had previously confirmed variants was from Human, Right ? And as they were Human so you just need to have the VCF files generated and you can go through the Annovar steps. Meaning there is no need for me to prepare my own database. Am I right ?

Thanks !

Comment

I don't work on humans everything I did was in Arabidopsis, for which ANNOVAR is not originally designed, but it still works like it should when you set things up right. I looked at a variety of variant annotation programs, however, all the others I found considerably harder to adapt to use in other species. Thats why I used ANNOVAR. ANNOVAR was designed for use on human data, the databases are already packaged with it. All you should have to do is generate a VCF file and you can plug it right in without much effort.
        Last edited by chadn737; 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses