Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Designing Experiment.

We have a human cell line that expresses a leukemia-associated fusion protein. I have created two cell lines that express one of two shRNA’s targeting this fusion protein, and one cell line that expresses shRNA to luciferase. The simplest experiment is to sequence the three cell lines (shRNA1, shRNA2, shRNA Luciferase), with the two fusion protein shRNAs serving as pseudo-biological replicates. We’d like to get the most information for the most reasonable cost, and with data that we can be reasonably comfortable with. We’d like to be able to compare this data to other data sets, usually microarray, which have been collected for this leukemia, as well as compare it to microarray data from mouse models. For this reason, we feel RNAseq may provide an advantage because it will cast a wide net over most genes, whereas doing this as a microarray experiment may miss some genes that we may later discover we are interested in. If the goal was to look solely at differential expression of coding transcripts, what would be a reasonable read depth to use (e.g., 2x75 Paired end at 30 million reads)? If the goal is to get more information about noncoding transcripts as well and maybe alternate splicing (i.e., more fully taking advantage of RNAseq), how ought we to change the parameters of the sequencing experiment? I realize increasing the number of biological replicates is always ideal, but before undertaking a massively expensive experiment that may yield no usable data, I need help in being able to think of how to best devise the initial sequencing strategy. It may be that I do a pilot RNA seq experiment with the three samples that gives us information about many transcripts, and later do follow ups with a cheaper technology, such as microarray.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
    by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
    02-26-2024, 02:07 PM
  • seqadmin
    Multiomics Techniques Advancing Disease Research
    by seqadmin

New and advanced multiomics tools and technologies have opened new avenues of research and markedly enhanced various disciplines such as disease research and precision medicine1. The practice of merging diverse data from various ‘omes increasingly provides a more holistic understanding of biological systems. As Maddison Masaeli, Co-Founder and CEO at Deepcell, aptly noted, “You can't explain biology in its complex form with one modality.”

A major leap in the field has
    02-08-2024, 06:33 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 02-28-2024, 06:12 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 02-23-2024, 04:11 PM