Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA quality of my samples, what to do next?

Recently I am working on the transcriptome of Methanocella conradii HZ254 (a methanogenic archaea isolated in our lab)
    I have three culture systems:
    1), HZ254 pure culture,
    2), P. thermopropionicum pure culture with pyruvate as substrate and
    3) coculture of HZ254& P. thermopropionicum with propionate as substrate.

I use Qiagen Allprep DNA/RNA mini kit for the isolation of RNA,
    I got good RNA results of HZ254 pure culture (please see the attachment fig 1.) due to the easy disruption of the cell of HZ254, I just homogenized for 20s at speed 4.0m/s on fast prep without the addition of glass beads.
    Same method failed to extract RNA of P. thermopropionicum, so I try following protocol, homogenized for 120 s (3*40 s. with 30 s intervals) in a FastPrep FP120 (Qbiogene) at speed 5.0 with the addition of glass beads. Compared with the result (please see the attachment fig 2) of the attached paper (genome of P. thermopropionicum @ genome research), I think it's also good, although the RIN was low.

So the coculture was followd the same lyse protocol, 120 s (3*40 s. with 30 s intervals) in a FastPrep FP120 (Qbiogene) at speed 5.0 with the addition of glass beads. the result seemed not good (please see the attachment fig 3&4.) I want to use these samples to do RNA-seq, the technian of our local sequencing center told me first, the Ratio of 23s/16s was lower than 1, and second the RIN was a little bit lower (which around 7).

So now I need to make sure whether the special features of the RNA of P. thermopropionicum (Fragmentation of 23S rRNA into three parts, as indicated in the attached paper) caused the lower 23s/16s ratio and lower RIN or the longer lyse caused the degradation of the coculture RNA sample.
    (the RNA of P. thermopropionicum account for ~30% of the total RNA of the coculture, as indicated in another paper)

Please share your opinion on my results! RIN of HZ254 and coculture.pdf

Kosaka et al-2008-The genome of Pelotomaculum thermopropionicum-Genome Research.pdf

Kosaka et al-2008-The genome of Pelotomaculum thermopropionicum-Genome Research-SOM.pdf
    Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Pengfei Liu; 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses