No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design of expt across multiple lanes

Hi,

I am performing an RNA-seq experiment to look at differential expression. The design is as follows:

2 populations x 3 biological replicates x 3 food treatments = 18 samples total

My interest is to make comparisons between food types within each population, and also to compare populations on the same food type. I was originally planning to use two HiSeq lanes, but am concerned about lane effects if I were to, for example, do one population on each lane (9 samples per lane)--any comparisons between populations would be confounded by possible lane effects. Unfortunately, I don't think I can multiplex more than 12 to a lane (according to the rep I am talking with), so I can't spread all 18 samples over two lanes. So, I am considering two options:

1. Do 12 samples in one lane and 6 in the other. One lane would have 2 biological replicates from each population, and the other lane would have the other biological replicate from each population. At least this would be unbiased because pops/treatments are spread the same say across lanes. My concerns: is 12 to many in a lane to get appropriate coverage for each sample? Obviously depth will vary considerably between the samples in the two lanes--will this be difficult to deal with when I do the analysis or is this easily accounted for in normalization?

2. Run three lanes, 6 in each lane. I don't see any problems with this except that I would like to avoid the extra cost with running another lane if at all possible.

I'm looking for any guidance or other ideas more experienced people may have. Thanks!

You just need the right kind of multiplexing method. You can do 96 per lane (or more).
    Last edited by GenoMax; 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I am not building the libraries and the company I am working with apparently doesn't multiplex more than 12 according to the representative. I'll try sending him this, but I'm afraid I might be stuck with 12. Thanks for your suggestion!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses