Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

I tried to run tohat using different gff file and genome sequence file and getting the same error

tophat -p 2 -G ca.gff3 -o cp05_thout1 caref_chr_pltd_unplaced1 cp05_ctl1.fastq

[2014-05-05 10:39:33] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.9)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [2014-05-05 10:39:33] Checking for Bowtie
    Bowtie version: 2.1.0.0
    [2014-05-05 10:39:33] Checking for Samtools
    Samtools version: 0.1.19.0
    [2014-05-05 10:39:33] Checking for Bowtie index files (genome)..
    [2014-05-05 10:39:33] Checking for reference FASTA file
    [2014-05-05 10:39:33] Generating SAM header for caref_chr_pltd_unplaced1
    format: fastq
    quality scale: phred33 (default)
    [2014-05-05 10:39:34] Reading known junctions from GTF file
    [2014-05-05 10:39:39] Preparing reads
    left reads: min. length=12, max. length=347, 18834597 kept reads (58333 discarded)
    Warning: short reads (<20bp) will make TopHat quite slow and take large amount of memory because they are likely to be mapped in too many places
    [2014-05-05 10:45:43] Building transcriptome data files..
    [FAILED]
    Error: gtf_to_fasta returned an error.

Thankx for your help

Varsha

Comment

Originally posted by varshacp View Post
      HI

I checked the log file and besides the run.log which I posted earlier I get the following error in the g2f.log file

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std:ut_of_range'
      what(): basic_string::substr

Help me to understand this

Thank you
      Varsha
      The problem almost certainly seems to be the gff file (since all other index files appear to be there and I assume are non-zero byte).

Can you try to verify your GFF file using one of these: http://genometools.org/cgi-bin/gff3validator.cgi or http://modencode.oicr.on.ca/cgi-bin/...te_gff3_online

Comment

Is the gtf_to_fasta executable in your PATH?
        enter "echo $PATH" and make sure that gtf_to_fasta program (in whatever tophat folder was created when you unpacked the tar.gz file) is in one of those directories. $HOME/bin is a convenient directory for this.

Something else I have to do on my computer system (sun grid engine HPC cluster) is use qsub to submit jobs. The system has trouble finding all the software, so I submit jobs using "qsub -v PATH job.sge".

Maybe that will help someone.

Comment

Hi hathiram2,

I recently had the same problem after downloading mm10 sequences/annotation files from the tophat website. Check the content of the genome.fa file because for me it was empty and I had to download it separately from the NCBI website. After replacing genome.fa file things work fine.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
          0 responses