No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FeatureCounts and E.coli Reference

Hi all,

I am struggling to count Bowtie2-mapped reads using featureCounts and after three days of investigation I hope you can help me.

My workflow is simple.
    Bacterial (E.coli) Illumina RNAseq data -> FASTQC -> Bowtie2 to custom E.coli strain reference -> Samtools subsampling -> FeatureCounts.

Bowtie2 Mapped Reads: 34,445,043
    FeatureCounts: 2,672,611 (7.8%) Successfully assigned alignments

The call:
    featureCounts -a reference.gtf -p -T 10 -M -O -t CDS -g ID -o output.txt mapped.bam

Why does featureCounts only annotate 7% of the reads, even though the entire genome is full of perfectly annotated genes (see attachment) ?
    How to run featureCounts properly on bacterial RNAseq data?
    Is there an alternative software to featureCounts?

Please have a look at the IGV attachment. Everything looks fine, I am very desperate how to debug this situation. I tried almost all combinations of featureCounts paramters. I used PROKKA and BAKTA genome annotations.

If you have any guess or idea how to come closer to the origin of the problem please let me know.

Here is the featureCounts output:
    ​Assigned 2672611
    Unassigned_Unmapped 0
    Unassigned_Read_Type 0
    Unassigned_Singleton 0
    Unassigned_MappingQuality 0
    Unassigned_Chimera 0
    Unassigned_FragmentLength 0
    Unassigned_Duplicate 0
    Unassigned_MultiMapping 0
    Unassigned_Secondary 0
    Unassigned_NonSplit 0
    Unassigned_NoFeatures 31772432
    Unassigned_Overlapping_Length 0
    Unassigned_Ambiguity 0​

Best,
    Michael

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
    by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
    06-06-2024, 07:15 AM
  • seqadmin
    Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
    by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
    “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
    05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 07:24 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 06-13-2024, 08:58 AM
0 responses