Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks/cuffdiff for matched pair samples and other questions

Hi all, I am quite new to RNA-seq and bioinformatics in general, so I apologize if these questions are poorly phrased or rather naïve.

(1) I have paired RNA-seq data (normal vs. cancer) for several patients and have begun DEG analysis through the tophat-->cufflinks-->cuffdiff pipeline. I’m wondering if this is even a viable pathway, as a thread regarding an earlier version of cuffdiff expressed some doubts about its suitability for paired designs: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7108. Does the latest version of cufflinks/cuffdiff address these problems, or should I consider a different approach?

(2) This is probably a dumb question, but what is wrong with just importing cufflinks’ FPKMs for all my samples into Excel and running a paired t-test on them to determine differential expression? As you can tell, I am not well-versed in the statistics of this...

(3) Assuming I can use cuffdiff, I’ve been encountering issues with the FPKMs it produces, which are all much, much larger than those given by cufflinks for the samples I’ve tried. I know inconsistencies like these have been caused by different default settings between cufflinks/cuffdiff in the past, but several threads have mentioned that the latest version (v2.1.1) should have this fixed. Am I doing something wrong? Below is my code and sample output.

For cufflinks:
    Code:
    cufflinks –G reference.gtf patient_normal.bam
    In genes.fpkm_tracking:
    Code:
    gene_id   locus         FPKM     FPKM_conf_lo   FPKM_conf_hi     FPKM_status  
    gene X chr1:123596-123889 0.04095203     0.0225433     0.0751442  OK
    For cuffdiff:
    Code:
    cuffdiff reference.gtf patient_normal.bam patient_tumor.bam
    In genes_exp.diff (value_1 should refer to FPKM for normal sample):
    Code:

gene_id  locus         sample_1  sample_2 status  value_1  value_2  log2(fold_change)  test_stat  p_value  q_value  significant                        	
    gene X  chr1:123596-123889  q1     q2     NOTEST  16.7791  17.0898  0.0264722                1        1       no
    Thank you for all your help!

(1) Don't use cuffdiff for that sort of analysis, it only handles pairwise and time-series designs. Look into DESeq2, edgeR, or limma, all of which can handle your design.

(2) Are FPKM values normally distributed (have just looked at a few, I wouldn't assume that)? Also, unless you have quite a few samples, you'll benefit from sharing information between genes (this is done in the aforementioned packages).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
    0 responses