Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using log2 read counts for RNA-seq heatmap

I want to plot a heatmap for my deferentially expressed genes. I used partek genomics to get read counts for each gene and used EdgeR to identify significant genes. After log2-transformation of the read counts with or without quantile normalization, I plot a heatmap in R with heatmap2 function. However, the red and green color are not that distinctively different between treatment groups (ideally, I want to have red for one panel and green for the other). I think the reason is that some genes are highly expressed whereas some have lower expression (like 8000 reads vs. 10 reads/a million counts for different genes). How can I adjust the data for a nicer heatmap (attached)? Also, I found that some papers used raw z-score for plotting. May I ask what raw z-score is and how to calculate that? Thanks a bunch!!
    Attached Files

I have usually set the parameter scale='none'.
    The standard normal distribution (mean = 0, standard deviation = 1) known as z-distribution. So the scale of this distribution is called z-score.
    Coverting raw scores to z-score is very easy:
    z-score = (x - mean) / sd, where x is the raw score, mean is the mean of x and sd is the standard deviation of x.

Comment

Hey thanks for this post.
      Did this work for you?

I have a similar situation and like Tibor I have used the scale="none".
      I am trying to examine my RNAseq samples with RNAseq data from TCGA.
      I have their count table and mine and have performed the DE analysis using DESeq. I have generated nice results of significantly differentially expressed genes and would now like to compare the two on a heat map for genes that are considered differentially expressed in both experiments.

In doing so obviously the scales are different when I use the "getVarianceStabilizedData(myData)" option in DESeq. I am thinking that z-score normalizing would be the best approach and would love to know if this can be confirmed.

Cheers

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
        by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
        06-06-2024, 07:15 AM
      • seqadmin
        Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
        by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
        “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
        05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 07:24 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 06-13-2024, 08:58 AM
      0 responses