No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GO analysis with DAVID and FDR confusion

Hello
    I recently got a big RNAseq analysis to do downstream analysis and comparison with other
    published experiments. The group analyzed the data with the online tool DAVID for gene ontologies and got very excited about some of the enriched GO Terms.
    I wanted to repeat part of the analysis prior any further comparisons and found in the DAVID output files some strange results.

The problem is that even though a Benjamini pvalue of <= 0.05 was used to filter significant results the field FDR (false discovery rate) can be pretty high often exceeding 0.05 and sometimes grow as large as e.g. >1.5 .

Now please correct me if I am wrong, but the way I thought this would be structured is that
    the normal p-value represents the potential significance within the GO Term and the adjusted Benjamini should take into account the potential FDR.

Does anybody know more about this ?
    Cheers

Yes, Benjamini-Hochberg is a widely-used method to control for FDR. That is the Benjamini column in your DAVID output. Not really sure what the FDR column is....

Comment

Thanks fanli
      It is indeed really strange and I could not find any explanation nowhere.
      At the moment I really hesitate to use these categories if there is a potential of such high FDR values,,,,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses