Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to analyze multiple samples using tophat

I have RNA-seq data from different experiments. How can I analyze multiple samples together using tophat? I tried command as below

tophat -o output_dir --solexa1.3-quals --num-threads 12 hg19 rna_seq/raw_data/cancer_sequence.txt,rna_seq/raw_data/control_sequence.txt"

It seems the result only has one .accepted_hits.bam file and one junctions.bed file. I thought there should have different outputs for each sample. Should I run tophat for each sample separately??

Thanks!

One more question here. I plan to use Cufflinks that uses tophat outputs. It seems Cufflinks only accept one input SAM file. Should I first parse the accepted_hits.bam to get SAM files for each sample and then input them separately to Cufflinks for expression quantification?

What is the good way to use the tophat-cufflinks pipeline?

Much appreciated!!!

Comment

I am learning how to use TopHat, and I do have exactly the same question. Do you happen to know the answer?

Aurelien

Comment

Me too. I ran into the same problem... Any idea?

Comment

It's not really a straightforward problem, especially since the documentation for tophat/cufflinks is quite sparse - but what I do at the moment is
          • tophat each sample separately (pooling technical replicate lanes at this step)
          • cufflinks each sample separately
          • cuffcompare all the samples, using the -G option providing an ensembl gtf of gene annotations to create a new gtf containing ensembl genes and any novel transcripts discovered by tophat/cufflinks
          • cuffdiff samples against each other using the new gtf created in the previous step (pooling biological replicates at this step)

Any suggestions?

Comment

Hi all. definitely search around on this site. there are a lot useful answers if you look hard enough, but it does take some patience. I can suggest at least a few threads (below). Good luck!

Jamie

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Application of sequencing to RNA analysis (RNA-Seq, whole transcriptome, SAGE, expression analysis, novel organism mining, splice variants)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses