Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cirno
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 6

    #1

    Annotating a SAM file - best method?

    Hey there,

    So far, I have put 76mers through tophat, then did BAM to SAM conversion. I looked at the Tophat page, and was happy to find IGV, etc but this doesn't seem to let me DO anything with the data, just look at it. If there was a way to dump what you see in IGV across the entire genome (i.e. reads annotated to genes and gene features) that would just be too convenient.

    So yeah I need to annotate the SAM file. The only option that seems good is HTSeq. The overall goal of the study is levels of alternative splicing; will HTseq be good enough to neatly quantify every type of event? Is there some other method out there?


    Thanks in advance.
  • colindaven
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 417

    #2
    I use Bedtools for annotation, I think using BAM files and GFF features. It's nice and quick.

    Otherwise Galaxy is good too for those who don't enjoy the command line.

    Comment

    • Cirno
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 6

      #3
      Thanks for the response.

      What part of Bedtools? I don't see any part of it that would do this. :|

      What I want to do is find out which genes my reads correspond to. There are many overlapping genes in arabiopsis, and I want reads that can't be assigned to one of these to be excluded - this is why HTseq looked good. I do not want to see which exons they map to really either, because I am looking for reads that are mostly or exclusively in introns.

      I have tried with HTSeq, but it almost always returns errors!
      I got my GFF file from TAIR, and this happens:

      Originally posted by console
      htseq-count -t gene -m union my_reads.sam TAIR10_GFF3_genes.gff
      Error occured in line 2 of file TAIR10_GFF3_genes.gff.
      Error: Feature AT1G01010 does not contain a 'gene_id' attribute
      [Exception type: SystemExit, raised in count.py:55]
      I really don't get it. The instructions it gives say to use GFF files, but only GTF files have this....I am really really confused.

      Comment

      • swbarnes2
        Senior Member
        • May 2008
        • 910

        #4
        If you get a .bed file of features (exons) and coordinates, you can use BEDTools intersect to figure out what reads cross what genes. Or rather, what reads don't cross exons.

        But I'm not sure how to get a .bed file of exons. The format is simple; it's just feature name, start, and stop coordinate, tab-delimited.

        Comment

        • Orr Shomroni
          Member
          • Oct 2011
          • 26

          #5
          swbarnes2, BEDtools has a simple bamToBed command that converts BAM files to BED format. And I guess to annotate, I need to intersect the converted BED file with a BED file of genes for that genome, right?

          P.S.: BEDtools commands can be found here:
          "Though it may seem that all's been said and done, originality still lives on" - some unoriginal guy who had nothing better to write as his signature

          Comment

          • dariober
            Senior Member
            • May 2010
            • 311

            #6
            Originally posted by Cirno View Post
            So yeah I need to annotate the SAM file. The only option that seems good is HTSeq. The overall goal of the study is levels of alternative splicing; will HTseq be good enough to neatly quantify every type of event? Is there some other method out there?
            If by annotating a sam file you mean assigning reads to genes to determine the level of expression of each transcript, I think what you can use is the cufflinks suite.

            You can write a batch script to dump images from IGV but doing it for the whole genome would result in hundreds of thousands of image files!

            Good luck
            Dario

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
            0 responses
            10 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            32 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            48 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...