Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to create refGene.txt file for bacteria, problem compliling kent source

Hi all,

I want to create refGene.txt file to give as input in GS Reference Mapper as it only accepts annotation in this format.

So i downloaded kent source to make refGene.txt file, but the problem i am facing is for compiling one of application it requires libmysqlclient.a file, i tried to fuond it every where in my fedora 14 system, in /usr/lib/myql/ but no success.

so please help to sort this problem.

Have anyone tried to make refGene.txt file for bacteria? If yes, how?

can genbank or gff file used for making refGene.txt file?

Thanks.

Hi ketan,

Did you solve your problem? I want to create refGene.txt for Oryza.sativa, which is required by Tophat-fusion-post....

If you still track this post, please reply...

zun

Comment

Assuming you have linux 64 bit installed in your computer.

1. Download http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/admin.../gtfToGenePred.

2. Convert a downlaoded gtf annotation file into genepred extended format (tmp file)

./gtfToGenePred -genePredExt annotation.gtf tmp

3. Parse the tmp file into genepred format
      awk 'BEGIN{FS="\t"};{print $12"\t"$1"\t"$2"\t"$3"\t"$4"\t"$5"\t"$6"\t"$7"\t"$8"\t"$9"\t"$10}' tmp > annotation.refFlat

Hope this helps. I have used this conversion on gtf annotation files downloaded from the ensembl database. It works fine.

Comment

Install mysql on your fedora system.
        If a sysadmin or local guru usually maintains your system, talk with them.
        Otherwise, google "fedora install mysql" is your friend.
        If you don't have root access, you can download and configure/make your own copy of mysql which will create this library (ibmysqlclient.a) You'll have to point to libmysqlclient.a by modifying the makefile to point to where this file is since it won't be in the place that an official install would put it.

Comment

> swaraj
          WOW! yes I did create my own refGene.txt right now thanks to you!!
          I really appreciate your help!!

zun

Comment

I need to convert a file from GTF to GenePred. I downloaded gtfToGenePred executable file from UCSC and tried to run in it in Ubuntu 64 11.10 but it says "command not found". This should be the executable file (downloaded from the link swaraj posted) and not the tool that requires UCSC tool setup to run. What could be a reason for the error message I am getting?

Comment

Originally posted by critmin View Post
              I need to convert a file from GTF to GenePred. I downloaded gtfToGenePred executable file from UCSC and tried to run in it in Ubuntu 64 11.10 but it says "command not found". This should be the executable file (downloaded from the link swaraj posted) and not the tool that requires UCSC tool setup to run. What could be a reason for the error message I am getting?
              You may need to explicitly add execute permission to the downloaded executable ("chmod u+x gtfToGenePred") before running the program as shown by swaraj.

If you are not in the directory where gtfToGenePred is present then provide the full path "\full_path_to\gtfToGenePred" when you run the program.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                You may need to explicitly add execute permission to the downloaded executable ("chmod u+x gtfToGenePred") before running the program as shown by swaraj.

If you are not in the directory where gtfToGenePred is present then provide the full path "\full_path_to\gtfToGenePred" when you run the program.
                Thank you! It worked. For some reason even though the file was in my current and home directory it required the full path to run. Thanks for the help!

Comment

after
                  chmod u+x gtfToGenePred
                  I got the "Segmentation fault" error message when I ./gtfToGenePred. So I want to compile this program from the source files, but both the current version jksrc.v282.zip and old version jksrc.v265.zip didn't contain the source files of gtfToGenePred. Why?

Comment

It seems to be there ...

wget http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/admin/jksrc.zip
                    Resolving hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu... 128.114.119.163
                    Connecting to hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu|128.114.119.163|:80... connected.
                    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
                    Length: 96,866,800 (92M) [application/zip]
                    100%[===================================================================>] 96,866,800 788.69K/s ETA 00:00
                    15:47:58 (768.69 KB/s) - `jksrc.zip' saved [96866800/96866800]
                    FINISHED --15:47:58--
                    Downloaded: 96,866,800 bytes in 1 files
                    bash-3.00# unzip -l jksrc.zip | grep gtfToGenePred
                    0 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/
                    6029 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/gtfToGenePred.c
                    444 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/makefile
                    0 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/
                    0 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/
                    531 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/basic.gp
                    500 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/basic.info
                    398 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/dups.gp
                    312 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/dups.out
                    244 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/ensembl.gp
                    307 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/ensembl.info
                    226 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/geneNameAsName2.gp
                    592 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/impliedStop.gp
                    402 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/impliedStop.info
                    407 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/splitStop.gp
                    370 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/srcPre.gp
                    380 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/expected/srcPre.info
                    0 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/input/
                    1956 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/input/basic.gtf
                    2204 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/input/dups.gtf
                    2322 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/input/ensembl.gtf
                    2943 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/input/flybase.gtf
                    595 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/input/split.gtf
                    5074 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/input/splitStop.gtf
                    1676 04-15-13 19:13 kent/src/hg/utils/gtfToGenePred/tests/makefile

Comment

Thank you Richard, I have found the files location. I have tried to find them at src/utils/, which is the reason I haven't found them.

Comment

Hello

There is another way shown here https://gist.github.com/igordot/4467f1b02234ff864e61

gtfToGenePred -genePredExt -geneNameAsName2 genes.gtf refFlat.tmp.txt
                        paste <(cut -f 12 refFlat.tmp.txt) <(cut -f 1-10 refFlat.tmp.txt) > refFlat.txt

Could someone please comment on pros and cons of the two approaches? It looks like they differ only in the 1st column.

Thank you
                        Last edited by trakhtenberg; 02-11-2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses