Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible to bwa -> sam -> bam via pipe?

Is it possible to output bwa output directly into samtools view to convert into bam format without using intermediate files? I am running low on hard disk space and I am attempting to automate my script. I would like to convert my bwa output to bam, sort it, and index it. I know the sam-bam conversion can be piped into the sort command, but is it possible for the samtools view to take its input from STDIN?

figured out on linux at least, if I give it the filename /dev/stdin that will satisfy it since the OS does the work, even though samtools does not appear to be expressly programmed to switch to stdin.

It appears to be working too, which is going to save me some headaches.

--edit

apparently I could also have done this with named pipes
    Last edited by Kotoro; 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotoro View Post
      Is it possible to output bwa output directly into samtools view to convert into bam format without using intermediate files? I am running low on hard disk space and I am attempting to automate my script. I would like to convert my bwa output to bam, sort it, and index it. I know the sam-bam conversion can be piped into the sort command, but is it possible for the samtools view to take its input from STDIN?
      bwa + samtools have been developed with pipes in mind:

Code:
      $ bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ] | bwa samse [OPTIONS] [DB] - [FASTQ] | samtools view -Su - | samtools sort - [PREFIX]
      HTH

d

Comment

Originally posted by dawe View Post
        bwa + samtools have been developed with pipes in mind:

Code:
        $ bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ] | bwa samse [OPTIONS] [DB] - [FASTQ] | samtools view -Su - | samtools sort - [PREFIX]
        HTH

d
        Is the same thing somehow possible for PE reads?

Comment

Originally posted by gavin.oliver View Post
          Is the same thing somehow possible for PE reads?
          Almost, this should work (essentially it is a double process substitution).

Code:
          $ bwa sampe [OPTIONS] [DB] <(bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ1]) <(bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ2]) [FASTQ1] [FASTQ2] | samtools view -Su - | samtools sort - [PREFIX]

Comment

Thanks!

The wonders of the command line, eh?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              A Brief Overview and Common Challenges in Single-cell Sequencing Analysis
              by seqadmin

​​​​​​The introduction of single-cell sequencing has advanced the ability to study cell-to-cell heterogeneity. Its use has improved our understanding of somatic mutations1, cell lineages2, cellular diversity and regulation3, and development in multicellular organisms4. Single-cell sequencing encompasses hundreds of techniques with different approaches to studying the genomes, transcriptomes, epigenomes, and other omics of individual cells. The analysis of single-cell sequencing data i...

01-24-2023, 01:19 PM
            • seqadmin
              Introduction to Single-Cell Sequencing
              by seqadmin
              Single-cell sequencing is a technique used to investigate the genome, transcriptome, epigenome, and other omics of individual cells using high-throughput sequencing. This technology has provided many scientific breakthroughs and continues to be applied across many fields, including microbiology, oncology, immunology, neurobiology, precision medicine, and stem cell research.

The advancement of single-cell sequencing began in 2009 when Tang et al. investigated the single-cell transcriptomes
              01-09-2023, 03:10 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse
            Working...
            X