Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible to bwa -> sam -> bam via pipe?

Is it possible to output bwa output directly into samtools view to convert into bam format without using intermediate files? I am running low on hard disk space and I am attempting to automate my script. I would like to convert my bwa output to bam, sort it, and index it. I know the sam-bam conversion can be piped into the sort command, but is it possible for the samtools view to take its input from STDIN?

figured out on linux at least, if I give it the filename /dev/stdin that will satisfy it since the OS does the work, even though samtools does not appear to be expressly programmed to switch to stdin.

It appears to be working too, which is going to save me some headaches.

--edit

apparently I could also have done this with named pipes
    Last edited by Kotoro; 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotoro View Post
      Is it possible to output bwa output directly into samtools view to convert into bam format without using intermediate files? I am running low on hard disk space and I am attempting to automate my script. I would like to convert my bwa output to bam, sort it, and index it. I know the sam-bam conversion can be piped into the sort command, but is it possible for the samtools view to take its input from STDIN?
      bwa + samtools have been developed with pipes in mind:

Code:
      $ bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ] | bwa samse [OPTIONS] [DB] - [FASTQ] | samtools view -Su - | samtools sort - [PREFIX]
      HTH

d

Comment

Originally posted by dawe View Post
        bwa + samtools have been developed with pipes in mind:

Code:
        $ bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ] | bwa samse [OPTIONS] [DB] - [FASTQ] | samtools view -Su - | samtools sort - [PREFIX]
        HTH

d
        Is the same thing somehow possible for PE reads?

Comment

Originally posted by gavin.oliver View Post
          Is the same thing somehow possible for PE reads?
          Almost, this should work (essentially it is a double process substitution).

Code:
          $ bwa sampe [OPTIONS] [DB] <(bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ1]) <(bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ2]) [FASTQ1] [FASTQ2] | samtools view -Su - | samtools sort - [PREFIX]

Comment

Thanks!

The wonders of the command line, eh?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses