Is it possible to output bwa output directly into samtools view to convert into bam format without using intermediate files? I am running low on hard disk space and I am attempting to automate my script. I would like to convert my bwa output to bam, sort it, and index it. I know the sam-bam conversion can be piped into the sort command, but is it possible for the samtools view to take its input from STDIN?
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
figured out on linux at least, if I give it the filename /dev/stdin that will satisfy it since the OS does the work, even though samtools does not appear to be expressly programmed to switch to stdin.
It appears to be working too, which is going to save me some headaches.
--edit
apparently I could also have done this with named pipesLast edited by Kotoro; 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM.
-
bwa + samtools have been developed with pipes in mind:Originally posted by Kotoro View PostIs it possible to output bwa output directly into samtools view to convert into bam format without using intermediate files? I am running low on hard disk space and I am attempting to automate my script. I would like to convert my bwa output to bam, sort it, and index it. I know the sam-bam conversion can be piped into the sort command, but is it possible for the samtools view to take its input from STDIN?
HTHCode:$ bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ] | bwa samse [OPTIONS] [DB] - [FASTQ] | samtools view -Su - | samtools sort - [PREFIX]
d
Comment
-
-
Almost, this should work (essentially it is a double process substitution).Originally posted by gavin.oliver View PostIs the same thing somehow possible for PE reads?
Code:$ bwa sampe [OPTIONS] [DB] <(bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ1]) <(bwa aln [OPTIONS] [DB] [FASTQ2]) [FASTQ1] [FASTQ2] | samtools view -Su - | samtools sort - [PREFIX]
Comment
-
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
43 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
53 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
43 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment