Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error with velvet

Hello, I download the velvet software package from EBI ( http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/velvet/ ). There is an error when I install it.

src / readSet.c: 34:18: fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [obj / readSet.o] Error 1

Who knows what the problem is and how to solve it?
    Thanks!

I too am getting the same error and inspite of trying out changes in path and file name I am unable to install Velvet. Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Comment

problem installing velvet

Hi RachelWu, mandar.sahasrabuddhe

did any of you resolved the problem.PLease let me know.I m new to assembling and i m facing the same error..

src/readSet.c:35:18: error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
      src/readSet.c: In function âreadFastQGZFileâ:
      src/readSet.c:488: error: âgzFileâ undeclared (first use in this function)
      src/readSet.c:488: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
      src/readSet.c:488: error: for each function it appears in.)
      src/readSet.c:488: error: expected â;â before âfileâ
      src/readSet.c:497: error: âfileâ undeclared (first use in this function)
      : :

Thank you.

Comment

You need to install zlib-devel (or whatever the equivalent on your server distribution is).

Comment

Enter the folder which has zlib.h in terminal, run "make".
          Then install velvet.

Originally posted by ramadatta.88 View Post
          Hi RachelWu, mandar.sahasrabuddhe

did any of you resolved the problem.PLease let me know.I m new to assembling and i m facing the same error..

src/readSet.c:35:18: error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
          src/readSet.c: In function âreadFastQGZFileâ:
          src/readSet.c:488: error: âgzFileâ undeclared (first use in this function)
          src/readSet.c:488: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
          src/readSet.c:488: error: for each function it appears in.)
          src/readSet.c:488: error: expected â;â before âfileâ
          src/readSet.c:497: error: âfileâ undeclared (first use in this function)

Thank you.

Comment

zlib error as well

I am having the same error on Ubuntu 12. I installed the zlib with the make command with no errors, but I still get the same no zlib.h file found. I ensured the velvet makefile was pointed to the correct path and still compiling error. No velveth or velvetg files created. Ubuntu does have an older version of velvet which it will install correctly which I can use, however it installs with the default kmer=31. How can I recompile this velvet version with a custom kmer value? Please help! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RachelWu View Post
              Hello, I download the velvet software package from EBI ( http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/velvet/ ). There is an error when I install it.
              src / readSet.c: 34:18: fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
              compilation terminated.
              make: *** [obj / readSet.o] Error 1
              I have never seen this problem, so I went to a plain Ubuntu 12 computer, and downloaded http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/velvet/velvet_1.2.07.tgz . When I typed "make" I got the same error as you.

Velvet actually comes bundled with its own copy of zlib (it is used to handle .gz compressed files). HOWEVER, it does not use it by default anymore (it used to).

To compile it with the bundled zlib, just type "make BUNDLEDZLIB=1" instead of just "make" and everything should work.

If you want to enable a larger k-mer size too, type "make BUNDLEDZLIB=1 MAXKMERLENGTH=127".

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by arvid View Post
                You need to install zlib-devel (or whatever the equivalent on your server distribution is).
                I think that is correct for Redhat/Fedora/Centos:

Code:
                % sudo yum install zlib-devel
                For Ubuntu/Debian, you need to install zlib1g-dev:

Code:
                % sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev
                If you do the above, then "make" should succeed. Otherwise just type "make BUNDLEDZLIB=1".

Comment

still an issue

So I tried to use the BUNDLEDZLIB=1 compile option and It did compile. That being said the veleth and velvetg application files did appear in the velvet directory, but when I tried to run them (from the velvet directory) the command was not found. Any ideas?

Comment

Biomicrogen,

How did you run velveth/g? Try put ./ in front of velveth/g.

Best regards,
                    Douglas

Comment

velvetg and velveth errors

Hi,

So I too tried to use the BUNDLEDZLIB=1 compile option and It did compile. That being said the veleth and velvetg application files did appear in the velvet directory, but when I tried to run them (from the velvet directory) the command was not found.

when i gave a velvetg or vveth command it is giving an error. The following is the problem :

shrujan@ubuntu:~/NGS_Practice/Staphylococcus/Assembly$ ~/Programs/velvet_1.2.08 /./velvetg Kmer_71 -ins_length 200 -ins_length_sd 50 -scaffolding yes -cov_cutoff10 -min_contig_lgth 300 -read_trkg yes
                      bash: /home/shrujan/Programs/velvet_1.2.08: No such file or directory

So please guide me with the valuable solutions.

Thank you and i hope for a quick reply.
                      Shrujan kumar Madadha.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                      0 responses