Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tophat-fusion-post result empty

Hello,

Does anyone use tophat-fusion-post? After I run it, the output is empty. I put the tophat-fusion outputs, blast database and annotation files in the same directory. command line I used is:
    tophat-fusion-post -p 8 --num-fusion-reads 1 --num-fusion-pairs 2 --num-fusion-both 5 hg18

I don't know what's wrong with the process. I really appreciate someone's help.

Thanks,

I'm having the same issue. After I ran the tophat-fusion, i generated the folder structure shown on the website with blast binaries and sequences. When I run tophat-fusion-post; it starts by extracting 23mers around fusions and maps them using bowtie. I have fusion_seq.bwtout, fusion_seq.fa and fusion.seq.map files generated. After tophat-fusion-post filters the fusions, it puts 0 fusions into potential_fusion.txt. Anyone with any ideas why this may be? My filtering criteria is min fusion reads is to be 1 and I know there are fusions with more than 1 reads in the fusions.out file from tophat-fusion. I tried to follow the python code but got lost after a while since i'm new in this. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Comment

I've got the same problem. It extracts and maps the 23-mers without a problem but no potential fusions are identified. If you follow their "awk filtering" suggestion on the fusion.out file the first line is a known IgH translocation is this sample with over 100 reads spanning the break, 100 pairs flanking, etc... I think I'll try and simulate a BCR-ABL translocation and see if that gets mapped and survives filtering. It would be nice if there was a small test dataset to validate each install like they have for bowtie and tophat.

Comment

I actually wanted to use the fusion-post for the way it presents the results. like giving you gene names along with chr coordinates and showing the reads around the fusion point. when i do the filtering with 10 reads being my filter, i get about 20 fusions and going around trying to figure the genes out manually seems a bit mundane given i have a lab meeting for next week. oh well.

Comment

This weekend I download and ran the MCF7 dataset on the tophat-fusion website using the settings described in the manual. No luck the potential_fusion.txt file is empty still. I've put in a question to the tophat-cufflinks email so I'll post if I get any answers.

Comment

i hope you hear from them jon. do post here if you do.

Comment

No response yet but I have a feeling there is some odd compiling issue between systems. I've tried three things"
              1) compiled from source on linux = tophat-fusion fails (never tried tophat-fusion-post)
              2) tried pre-compiled linux binary = tophat-fusion works, tophat-fusion-post fails to identify any fusion even in MCF7 data from developer site
              3) tried pre-compiled mac binary = tophat-fusion works, tophat-fusion-post identifies fusions but I get a blast error (looks to be memory limitation of my laptop).

Comment

when i complied from the source, tophat-fusion had failed to compile all together for a reason i failed to understand. then used the precompiled version for mac and got the error i listed above. wonder if we'll hear from them.

Comment

I did forget to mention that I've tried compiling from source on a mac and get the same error more or less that you saw

Code:
                  -- tophat 1.2.0 Configuration Results --
                    C compiler:          gcc -Wall -arch x86_64 -O3  -DNDEBUG
                    C++ compiler:        g++ -Wall -arch x86_64 -O3  -DNDEBUG -I/Users/jkeats/local/include
                    GCC version:         i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)
                    Host System type:    i386-apple-darwin10.8.0
                    Install prefix:      /Users/jkeats/local2
                    Install eprefix:     ${prefix}

See config.h for further configuration information.
                    Email <[email protected]> with questions and bug reports.

jkeats-ML:tophatfusion-0.1.0 jkeats$ make
                  make  all-recursive
                  Making all in src
                  g++ -Wall -arch x86_64 -O3  -DNDEBUG -I/Users/jkeats/local/include -I./SeqAn-1.2 -Wall -arch x86_64 -O3  -DNDEBUG -I/Users/jkeats/local/include  -L/usr/lib -o prep_reads -L/Users/jkeats/local/lib prep_reads.o ../src/libtophat.a -lbam -lz -lz 
                  Undefined symbols:
                    "_solToPhred", referenced from:
                        charToPhred33(char, bool, bool)in prep_reads.o
                  ld: symbol(s) not found
                  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                  make[2]: *** [prep_reads] Error 1
                  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
                  make: *** [all] Error 2
                  Did you align to hg18 or hg19? The annotation files provided in the package are for hg19. In my case for comparison, I'm running the mac binary on a snow leopard machine, aligning to hg19 provided on the bowtie site. At least when I tested the MCF7 dataset using the settings on the website it works less the blast error and generated reports with annotated breaks with gene names, positions, exon number, etc..

Comment

I've got the same problem.
                    I contacted the authors, but not have received a response.
                    Has anyone solved this yet?

Comment

No. I checked the code, but could not figure out how it can be empty. I run on Python 2.6.5, an 2.7.1, none of them worked.

A bit frustrating, because I already finished tophat-fusion step for12 samples with a big effort.

Plus, I could not use existing genes.gtf at the tophat-fusion step. It worked if I did not provide an existing genes.gtf.

Comment

Same problems here. Tried on Mac and Ubuntu (with python 2.7.1). The tophat-fusion-post did not work. Contacted the author but no response.

Comment

I just tried tophat-fusion-post - freshly downloaded mac binaries - and it actually worked. the only problem is the html file doesn't show my fusions and i think blast is working probably because of the way i unzipped the database. anyone care commenting whether i have the right configuration for the database?

Comment

tophat-fusion-post example

Hi Ahametz,

I'm still struggling to get the tophat-fusion-post example to work -- I also get no fusions even though all the fusions.out files in their MCF7 example certainly contain fusion candidates. In other words, I don't even get to the blast stage.

I'm using tophat 2.0.4 and tophat-fusion ran without issues.

Any help would be really appreciated.

thanks,
                            t

Comment

I used as well MCF7 to test TopHat-Fusion but it worked for me.
                              I am using symlinks for the blast and indexes directories (it works as well if the tophat_MCF7_1 files are symlinks).

The structure I am using to run tophat-fusion-post is the following:

TopHatFusion_MCF7
                              ----blast
                              ----blast_human # symbolic link to the blast directory
                              ----indexes # hg19 indexes / bowtie1
                              ----mcl
                              ----refGene.txt
                              ----ensGene.txt
                              ----tophat_MCF7_1
                              --------accepted_hits.bam
                              --------deletions.bed
                              --------fusions.out
                              --------insertions.bed
                              --------junctions.bed
                              --------logs
                              --------prep_reads.info
                              --------unmapped.bam
                              ----tophatfusion_out

The blast directory looks like:

blast
                              ----human_genomic.00.nhd
                              ----human_genomic.00.nhi
                              [...]
                              ----nt.00.nhd
                              ----nt.00.nhi
                              [...]
                              ----other_genomic.00.nhd
                              ----other_genomic.00.nhi
                              [...]

The command I am using:
                              tophat-fusion-post -p 1 --num-fusion-reads 1 --num-fusion-pairs 2 --num-fusion-both 5 indexes/hg19

I am using bowtie/0.12.7, samtools/0.1.18 and blast+/2.2.26
                              This works with both tophat-2.0.3 (tophat-2.0.3.Linux_x86_64.tar.gz) and tophat-2.0.4 (tophat-2.0.4.Linux_x86_64.tar.gz)

Hope this helps

Emilie

Comment

Working...
                              X