Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MatthewVC
    Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 11

    #1

    fake indels from mpileup?

    Hey,

    I'm running mpileup to generate a consensus sequence and when I run it and convert it to .vcf format, I see many indels that match the following sequence. My command line and an example of the odd indel is below:

    samtools mpileup -Q 25 -d 40000 -uf ref.fa in.bam | bcftools view -cg - > out.vcf

    gi|223976078|ref|NC_012095.1| 5988 . CTTTTTT . 99 . INDEL;DP=39134;AF1=0;CI95=1.5,0;DP4=14546,15887,67,67;MQ=60;PV4=0.66,1,1,0.028 PL 0
    gi|223976078|ref|NC_012095.1| 5989 . T . 99 . DP=39199;AF1=0;CI95=1.5,0;DP4=18087,20153,0,0;MQ=60 PL 0
    gi|223976078|ref|NC_012095.1| 5990 . T . 99 . DP=39116;AF1=0;CI95=1.5,0;DP4=17719,20059,0,0;MQ=60 PL 0
    gi|223976078|ref|NC_012095.1| 5991 . T . 99 . DP=39395;AF1=0;CI95=1.5,0;DP4=16529,18557,1,0;MQ=60;PV4=0.47,2.4e-05,1,0.073 PL 0
    gi|223976078|ref|NC_012095.1| 5992 . T . 99 . DP=39105;AF1=0;CI95=1.5,0;DP4=16713,18665,0,0;MQ=60 PL 0
    gi|223976078|ref|NC_012095.1| 5993 . T . 99 . DP=38041;AF1=0;CI95=1.5,0;DP4=17015,19513,0,1;MQ=60;PV4=1,0.00047,1,1 PL 0
    gi|223976078|ref|NC_012095.1| 5994 . T . 99 . DP=38046;AF1=0;CI95=1.5,0;DP4=17325,19918,2,0;MQ=60;PV4=0.22,5.4e-07,1,0.19 PL 0


    As you can see, the "deletion" sequence "CCCCCC" matches the following sequence, making me think it's not real. I see this same pattern numerous times.

    Any ideas what is going on here?

    Thanks,
    Matt
  • swbarnes2
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 910

    #2
    I don't think the alt letter is supposed to be a .

    What does the mpileup look like?

    Comment

    • eslondon
      Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 21

      #3
      In any case about 90% of the INDELs you will get form mpileup will result to be fake once you put them through tools like DINDEL and/or GATK.... don't trust those generated by mpileup, you need local re-alignment (and often visual inspection!) of the reads to get a high rate of true positives in terms of INDELs
      --------------------------------------
      Elia Stupka
      Co-Director and Head of Unit
      Center for Translational Genomics and Bioinformatics
      San Raffaele Scientific Institute
      Via Olgettina 58
      20132 Milano
      Italy
      ---------------------------------------

      Comment

      • colindaven
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2008
        • 417

        #4
        You'll also need to filter by the I16 fields in the output, once you generate them properly. I frequently use reference vs non reference quality sums. And yeah, every program I have tried - Samtools mpileup, dindel, Clcgenomics - seems to produce a lot of false positive indel calls.

        Comment

        • MatthewVC
          Member
          • Jun 2010
          • 11

          #5
          Thanks for the replies.

          I piped the mpileup directly into bcftools, so I don't have the mpileup file handy. I was curious about the "." too. I think it's ok, since where there are different calls, the "." is the alternative call.

          I'll try filtering the file through the DINDEL or GATK. I may just visually go through, and then write a script so sort the fake indels out. Looking at the .bam files in IGV, I'm not seeing any of these indels, so I really think they're pretty much all fake.

          Thanks,

          Matt
          Last edited by MatthewVC; 08-05-2011, 05:02 AM. Reason: forgot a few words

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          7 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          31 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          26 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          47 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...