No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverage (Velvet)

Hello, all

Does anyone know what the coverage means in velvet ?

According to the manual of velvet, the relation between k-mer coverage Ck and standard (nucleotide-wise) coverage C is Ck = C*(L-k+1)/L.

Is C calculated as follows ?

Read length: 36bp
    Number of reads: 50,000,000 X 2 (paired-end)
    Size of reference sequence: 5M

C = 36bp X 50,000,000 X 2 / 5M = 720

I'd be happy if anyone answer the question !

yasutake

Looks right to me ... there are 720 bases in reads for every 1 base in your reference.

For Ck, the "length" in kmers of your reference is practically the same as length in bases ... (actually, 5M - 36 + 1, which is ~5M for the purposes of the equations below), so if you calculate the number of kmers in every read, it's 36-k+1. If you were to calculate the kmer coverage directly, you'd be asking how many read kmers you have per every reference kmer, so that's:
    (36-k+1)*50M*2 / 5M

so if you already have base coverage calculated, you multiply by (36-k+1)/36 ... or (L-k+1)/L ... to get from base coverage to kmer coverage.
    Last edited by jnfass; 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

I'd be happy if anyone answer the question !
      You should consider joining the Velvet mailing list and asking Daniel Zerbino directly:

Comment

jnfass and Torst,

Thank you very much for your help !

yasutake

Comment

Originally posted by jnfass View Post
          so if you already have base coverage calculated, you multiply by (36-k+1)/36 ... or (L-k+1)/L ... to get from base coverage to kmer coverage.
          So Velvet is using k-mer coverage values instead of base coverage in its parameters, right?

In the above example, if my k-mer size is 21 and I want to eliminate all regions with coverage of 2x or below I shouldn't use '-cov_cutoff 2'. Instead I should use '-cov_cutoff 0.9'... Am I right?

And what about the '-exp_cov' parameter? Should I use k-mer coverage values for this parameter, too?

Comment

Originally posted by panos_ed View Post
            So Velvet is using k-mer coverage values instead of base coverage in its parameters, right?

In the above example, if my k-mer size is 21 and I want to eliminate all regions with coverage of 2x or below I shouldn't use '-cov_cutoff 2'. Instead I should use '-cov_cutoff 0.9'... Am I right?

And what about the '-exp_cov' parameter? Should I use k-mer coverage values for this parameter, too?
            Yes, on both counts.

By the way, the -exp_cov value is used to determine which parts of the graph are likely due to repeat sequence ... some multiple (maybe 1.5?? I forget...) of the -exp_cov value serves as the cutoff, and nodes with higher coverage are deemed repeats. Given the wild variation in coverage from the nextGen sequencing technologies, which can be an order of magnitude or more from what I've seen, with Illumina, SOLiD, and 454, you might want to consider increasing -exp_cov above the auto estimate. YMMV, of course.

~Joe

Comment

Joe

Originally posted by jnfass View Post
              Given the wild variation in coverage from the nextGen sequencing technologies, which can be an order of magnitude or more from what I've seen, with Illumina, SOLiD, and 454, you might want to consider increasing -exp_cov above the auto estimate. YMMV, of course.
              Can you clarify what you mean by the above statement in italics?

ie. are you saying you get 10-fold difference in coverage of NON-repeated elements??

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses