No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLAST for spliced isoforms?

Hey,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to setup a stand alone BLAST search that will return spliced isoforms?

I was thinking something that would look for alignments followed by a break of some minimum size (say 50bp) followed by more alignments...

Is there a better way to do this? I have RNAseq data but no reference genome. I am looking for a way to find all the spliced isoforms in this data.

Thanks.

Assemble your data first then map the assemblies, that is my recommendation.

Comment

I have assembled sequences... so then I map the rnaseq sequences to themselves? What software?

Comment

Map the contigs with BLAST or whatever rna, est mapping software you want.

Comment

right... I am asking if there is a way to setup a stand alone BLAST search to specifically return only likely splice isoforms. Do you know how to do this?

Comment

BLAST? I think there is a set of tools at NCBI called splign and spidey that will chain together HSPs with a Gene model. BLAST is kind of a dum way to do it IMO, but lots of people have used BLAST for things it wasn't designed for before in the past.

Comment

Yea, but don't you use a genomic reference for those? No reference genome here unfortunately.

Comment

Ah yes, mapping mRNA to mRNA with exons. I don't know a way to do that, but I was wishing BLAST would do that just yesterday.

Comment

Ah well, if you don't know how to do it then maybe someone else does.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                  0 responses