No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strand specific RNA-seq data from dUTP protocol

Hi all,
    We have a single end strand specific RNA-seq using dUTP protocol. Those reads (single end) from this protocol should be mapped to sense strand or antisense strand?

In the Trinity page, it said dUTP is RF. So I think the single end should be anti-sense.
    Paired reads:
    RF: first read (/1) of fragment pair is sequenced as anti-sense (reverse(R)), and second read (/2) is in the sense strand (forward(F)); typical of the dUTP/UDG sequencing method.

However, in the TopHat web, it said

fr-firststrand dUTP, NSR, NNSR Same as above except we enforce the rule that the right-most end of the fragment (in transcript coordinates) is the first sequenced (or only sequenced for single-end reads). Equivalently, it is assumed that only the strand generated during first strand synthesis is sequenced.

Can anyone give me some suggestion? Many thanks.

Best,
    Zheng

Hi, Zheng.

Is your question solved? or get answered? I am also interested in the answer.

Best,

Xianjun

Comment

Hi,
      I used tophat to map dUTP strand specific libraries and I used '–library–-type fr-firststrand'.

There is a nice quality control package called RSeQC (http://code.google.com/p/rseqc/wiki/Manual).
      One of its functions, infer_experiment, tells you whether the data comes from a strand specific protocol or not.

For single end reads the rule goes like this:
      If the read maps to the plus strand it indicates that the parental gene is on the minus strand.
      If the read maps to the minus strand it indicates that the parental gene is on the plus strand.

Finally, it should be stressed (please correct me if you think I am wrong) that there are no things such as sense and antisense strands. Rather if a gene is transcribed it is sense transcription but if the opposite strand of a gene is transcribed it is antisense transcription. The gene in question can be located on either strand.

/blanco

Comment

Thanks. I will try it.

Comment

Hi Blanco,

We've tried rseqc to check on the library type for our RNAseq data. But the package doesn't have much details about the output.

Here is our results

Fraction of reads explained by "1++,1--,2+-,2-+": 0.0078
          Fraction of reads explained by "1+-,1-+,2++,2--": 0.9922
          Fraction of reads explained by other combinations: 0.0000

Wondering if we chose Tophat for mapping, for the parameter "--library-type", should we use fr-firststrand or fr-secondstrand?

Comment

Hi masterpiece,
            this is the same pattern I get for the dUTP method and I use fr-fristrand in tophat so I assume that would also apply to your reads.

This is impressive strand specificity, I usually get around 97%. What method do you use for library preparation?

Comment

Hi Blanco,

Sorry for late reply. Busy with other stuff lately.

This is human transcriptome dataset from ENCODE/Cold Spring Harbor Lab. They done a lot of RNAseq sequencing. You can check their method based on this paper and yes they use dUTP method.

Jiang, L., Schlesinger, F., Davis, C. A., Zhang, Y., Li, R., Salit, M., Gingeras, T. R., et al. (n.d.). Synthetic spike-in standards for RNA-seq experiments, 1543–1551. doi:10.1101/gr.121095.111.

So I think in this case, practice make perfect huh?
              Last edited by masterpiece; 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Some of the RNA in a cell will be true "antisense". That is transcripts of the opposite from the coding strand. However this will be non-coding RNA except for rare exceptions. So it is not clear to me whether it would be poly-adenylated.

However this antisense RNA would be expected hybridized to the sense strand, at least to some extent. So it could "hitchhike" into your polyA+ pool that way.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Hello,

I have a strand specific question. If you want to run tuxedo adding the strand-specific argument in the tophat script, do you also need to incorporate this specification in cufflinks? or is just in tophat?. For example:

tophat -p 8 -G genes.gtf -o C1_R1_thout --library-type=fr-firststrand genome C1_R1_1.fq

cufflinks -p 8 -o C1_R2_clout C1_R2_thout/accepted_hits.bam (add --library-type here?)

Thanks.

-G

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses