Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aligning RNA-Seq reads in peptide space

I'm planning to do some cross-species comparative transcriptomics, with non-model plant (grass) species. I'll be aligning the reads to a closely related genome (same tribe), evolutionarily equidistant from the experimental species. As far as I can tell, the tools which are commonly used for aligning RNA-Seq reads do so in nucleotide space. Are there any tools which can work in peptide space? Or can anyone suggest a strategy using existing tools which would work for cross-species alignment?

I'm not afraid to develop my own tools, but I don't want to do it if the tools are already there!

Many thanks

I have not had cause to use it in a very long time, but t-coffee is one sequence aligner that will align a DNA sequence given the constrant of underlying known protein coding sequences.

I have no idea if anyone has adapted or applied it to batch processing a next-gen data set though.

Michael Black, Ph.D.
    ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

maybe tblastx could help as well

Comment

Again, I have no experience actually using these, but in my EndNote library a see

transAlign - published in BMC Bioinformatics. 2005; 6: 156. This is a PERL script tool.
        MACSE - ("Multiple Alignment of Coding SEquences Accounting for Frameshifts and Stop Codons") published in 2011, PLoS ONE 6(9).

I just don't know of anything that has been specifically applied to a batch alignment of a next-gen readset.
        Michael Black, Ph.D.

Comment

@mbblack thanks very much - tcoffee looks interesting. From what I can make out, it first indexes all the pairwise alignments between each pair of sequences. I think when comparing a short read to a whole genome this would take forever and possibly makes that approach unsuitable. Nevertheless I'll ask on their google group and see if anyone has adapted it.

@areyes yeah, after I made the post I realised I should start by looking at BLAST and BLAT. I've been playing with BLAT using 454 reads, which seems to be working OK. I'll compare with tblastx too.

In general I think tools for local alignment will be more likely to be applicable than those for multiple alignments.

Comment

If you find something that you could adapt, be sure to search a bit and see if it has been optimized further by someone other than the first or maintaining author. I cannot find the link, but there is an MPI parallel version of t-coffee around, for example.
            Michael Black, Ph.D.

Comment

The MACSE paper is really quite useful, thanks. Time to start testing tools!

Comment

Hi, Mbblack! I'm a new guy in bioinformation field. I see that you mentioned Endnote. Is there an equivalent of Endnote in Ubuntus please? Thanks

Comment

@liruiradiant

1. nobody mentioned Endnote, but an excellent open-source alternative is Zotero (http://www.zotero.org).
                  2. you should start your own thread when you have a new question, otherwise very few people are likely to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by liruiradiant View Post
                    Hi, Mbblack! I'm a new guy in bioinformation field. I see that you mentioned Endnote. Is there an equivalent of Endnote in Ubuntus please? Thanks
                    I referenced some alignment tools I have in my Endnote reference library.

I do not know about any reference managers for Linux as the only things I use in Linux/UNIX are command line tools (I don't use any desktop software at all on my Linux boxes), sorry.
                    Michael Black, Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Maybe I'll do the same with you: Have one lab computer running Linux and my laptop Windows for endnote. Sometimes it's just not so convenient. But it's a problem without solution I think. Thanks anyway!

Originally posted by mbblack View Post
                      I referenced some alignment tools I have in my Endnote reference library.

I do not know about any reference managers for Linux as the only things I use in Linux/UNIX are command line tools (I don't use any desktop software at all on my Linux boxes), sorry.

Comment

Zotero is a good tool, also JabRef is available for both platforms (also for Mac)... simple but it will do the job as a reference mangager...Jabref also exports BibTex...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
                          by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
                          06-06-2024, 07:15 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
                          by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
                          “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
                          05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:58 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 06-06-2024, 08:18 AM
                        0 responses