Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bsuac6
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 9

    #1

    Cuffdiff time series

    Hi,

    I am using RNA-seq data. I have 3 time points in my data 6 months (young), 12 months (middle) and 28 months (old). I want to do a differential expression analysis across the 3 time points. I have used cuffdiff to do this:

    cuffdiff -o /time -L young,middle,old -b /RGSC3.4.61.dna.toplevel.2.fa -u -N -T --library-type fr-secondstrand /allrat.combined.gtf /1.sam,/2.sam,/3.sam
    /4.sam,/5.sam,/6.sam /7.sam,/8.sam,/9.sam

    The output I get is a comparisons between "young and middle" and "middle and old". Does this seem correct? I would have expected a comparison of "young and old" whilst taking into account the differences in middle?

    Thanks
  • dahlo
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 8

    #2
    Originally posted by bsuac6 View Post
    Hi,
    The output I get is a comparisons between "young and middle" and "middle and old". Does this seem correct? I would have expected a comparison of "young and old" whilst taking into account the differences in middle?

    Thanks
    Hello there

    I am pretty sure cufflinks can only do pairwise comparisons. If you enable the time series mode (-T/--time-series), it will only pairwise compare each time point with the next.

    An analysis across all time points will have to be done with another program

    Comment

    • bsuac6
      Junior Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 9

      #3
      Thanks for your reply. I suspected this was the case. I have used edgeR GLM to do this analysis as well but it doesn't give me the contrasts I would like e.g. linear regression of change with increasing age which takes into account the expression at middle age. I am told this is a function of the maths because I only have three time points. Suppose pairwise comparisons it is!

      Comment

      • rhcr56
        Junior Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 7

        #4
        comparing a time series with pairwise comparisons

        Just a word of caution about comparing a time series via pairwise comparisons. Sometimes the results can be misleading. For example, a gene whose RNA abundance linearly increases/decreases over time may be significantly different from the first time point to the last, yet is not significant in any of the sequential pairwise comparisons. With increasing numbers of time points, the results can get even more convoluted! If you only have three time points and were still interested, I suggest leaving the -T option out of the command line because Cuffdiff will now do all pairwise comparisons "young vs middle", "middle vs old", and "young vs old". Hope this was helpful. If you have any questions let me know.

        Comment

        • bsuac6
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2010
          • 9

          #5
          Thanks for your comments. In fact, I did end up doing my analysis as you suggested, it worked quite well - though I am glad I don't have more than three time points!

          Comment

          • dvelayutham
            Junior Member
            • May 2013
            • 1

            #6
            Hello bsuac6

            After leaving the -T command suggested by 'rhcr56', you would have probably end up with "young vs middle", "middle vs old", and "young vs old" comaparisions from the single command.

            But have you ever tried doing one pairwise comparision at a time, So three separate cuffdiff commands to produce three different comparision ?? Did the no. of sig genes increase ??

            I have my experient like you with three-four time points, and I wonder which is the ''Best'' option
            Any suggestion is appreciated.

            Comment

            • anthurium
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2013
              • 4

              #7
              Hi,
              I also have some samples to analyses in different combinations... I would like to understand more clearly how the significance test works when you do single comparisons (one comparison= one cuffdiff command) or when you do multiple comparisons in the same command

              with my data, when I run multiple comparisons all together in the end I get less significant genes than doing it one at once

              can anyone explain how the calculations are made?

              Comment

              • Kseniya
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 1

                #8
                a very good question, I am also interested in this. With my data I noticed the same behavior. When I decrease the number of samples, I get different fpkm and consequently p-value and number of differentially expressed genes.

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
                0 responses
                13 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                37 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                28 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                48 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...