I'm thinking to use BLASTX to find CDS (protein coding sequence) regions on genomes. How can I set the parameters to let BLASTX put big penalty on a stop codon found? Any experience or any useful link? Thanks.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
In short - Don'tOriginally posted by rdu View PostI'm thinking to use BLASTX to find CDS (protein coding sequence) regions on genomes. How can I set the parameters to let BLASTX put big penalty on a stop codon found? Any experience or any useful link? Thanks.
Use Scipio or Exonerate - this is exactly what they're designed for.
Comment
-
The problem is that there is not enough information in the question. If he/she is interested in prokaryotic genomes, then Scipio would not be very useful.Originally posted by tonybolger View PostIn short - Don't
Use Scipio or Exonerate - this is exactly what they're designed for.
Eukaryotic genomes:
Prokaryotic genomes:
http://rast.nmpdr.org/
Comment
-
True on both fronts. Still, regardless of the actual aim, there's probably a better tool out there than 'raw' blastx.Originally posted by robs View PostThe problem is that there is not enough information in the question. If he/she is interested in prokaryotic genomes, then Scipio would not be very useful.
Comment
-
Since only a genome sequence was mentioned, maybe running sixpack to find all ORFs, followed by iprscan or a Conserved Domain Database search would be more what is requested. Ideally you would combine multiple sources of evidence, and more information would be helpful.Originally posted by robs View PostThe problem is that there is not enough information in the question. If he/she is interested in prokaryotic genomes, then Scipio would not be very useful.
Eukaryotic genomes:
Prokaryotic genomes:
http://rast.nmpdr.org/
Comment
-
Sorry, I didnt get a chance to back here.
Actually, I'm doing this. I downloaded 20 different bacteria genomes from NCBI website. These genome gene annotation files are ready there. Then I cut each genomic DNA sequence to short read length of pieces (~100nt each) to simulate the ngs reads. I was intending to use BLASTX and protein COG database to annotate these short reads to check how the short reads inherit the function annotation. Let me know if it's still not clear.
Thanks for all your suggestions. But I just want to stick to one of NCBI provided tools.
Happy new year to everyone.
Comment
-
I carried out something similar with 454 reads from a non-model specie, so I had to be aware to point mutations in stretches of homopolymers that could change the frame translation pattern giving rise a false stop codon. My blast parameters were not so restrictive as I think you want. I used a e-value threshold of 0.001 over repetmasked reads using BLASTN (BLASTX was really unsuccesful).
hope this helps and happy new year!
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
34 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
34 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment