No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• % On-Off target

hello,
    I'm looking for a tool (or command line) to determine the % On-Off target + or - 50 bp of exon from my capture file but not annotated (!!!). Capture SureSelect agilent home.

Current pipeline:
    GAIIx Illumina
    CASAVA1.8
    IGV
    CNV-seq
    SAMtools
    BEDtools
    GALAXY
    NextGENe

Please HELP

Create a bed file of your Agilent SureSelect targets and use BEDtools to merge adjacent targets and then slopBed to add 50 bps to either side of your merged targets. Then use Bedtools BedtoBam to convert your bam file to a bed file and then use intersectBed to create an intersection of your bam.bed and the target.bed. This will create a bed file illustrating the target regions covered by your bam file which you can then parse for percent on and off target. I think there may be examples of this workflow in the BEDtools manual available online.

Comment

You may find picards CalculateHsMetrics useful

Comment

BEDTools intersectBed will work with bam files, and output .bam files. I use it that way all the time. Your command line look something like:

intersectBed -abam yourbam.bam -b paddedExometarget.bed > intersect.bam
        I just used Excel to change the coordinates in the target .bed file, to pad them. I'm not sure that's necessry, since intersectBed will get reads that are hanging off of your target regions.

So then use samtools flagstat to count the number of mapped reads of the original .bam, and then of the intersect.bam

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post

http://picard.sourceforge.net/comman...ulateHsMetrics
          What is the difference between the BAIT_INTERVALS and TARGET_INTERVALS files?

Comment

Originally posted by gwilymh View Post
            What is the difference between the BAIT_INTERVALS and TARGET_INTERVALS files?
            To be honest we use the same file for both

I suspect that when you have files from your pull down supplier there may be some subtle differences but I don't think it matters to hugely

Comment

Picard HsMetrics is designed by the Broad, which helped develop the Agilent in solution capture method. In the case of Agilent they provide positions for both the baits and the target regions.

Think:
              Code:
                     1---------Target------------1
              ------IIIIIIIIIIII  exon  IIIIIIIIIIIIII--------
                   xbaitx         ybaity          zbaitz

Unfortunately, Illumina only provides the target regions not the actual bait locations. So it is harder to decide if some of the non-exonic reads are uncaptured flow-through or captured regions that are not in the "official" targets. Clearly, in my opinion Illumina has captured entire 5kb regions that include 3 exons totaling 1kb resulting in 4kb of high coverage intronic region. Not sure if the designer was just lazy, has ulterior motives, some internal data that this makes target recovery the best?
              Last edited by Jon_Keats; 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Keats View Post
                Picard HsMetrics is designed by the Broad, which helped develop the Agilent in solution capture method. In the case of Agilent they provide positions for both the baits and the target regions.

Think:
                Code:
                       1---------Target------------1
                ------IIIIIIIIIIII  exon  IIIIIIIIIIIIII--------
                     xbaitx         ybaity          zbaitz

Unfortunately, Illumina only provides the target regions not the actual bait locations. So it is harder to decide if some of the non-exonic reads are uncaptured flow-through or captured regions that are not in the "official" targets. Clearly, in my opinion Illumina has captured entire 5kb regions that include 3 exons totaling 1kb resulting in 4kb of high coverage intronic region. Not sure if the designer was just lazy, has ulterior motives, some internal data that this makes target recovery the best?
                A colleague of mine directed me to the UCSC Genome Browser Tables page (http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables?org=human), which can be used to search gene names against genome and chromosomes to identify where on a given genome assembly a specific gene is located.

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post

http://picard.sourceforge.net/comman...ulateHsMetrics
                  Can Picard be used on a Windows system?

Comment

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
                    ...So then use samtools flagstat to count the number of mapped reads of the original .bam, and then of the intersect.bam
                    Does anyone know the specific commands to compile and execute flagstat in samtools? The samtools literature is frustratingly vague!

(I am using samtools in Cygwin in a Windows 7 system)

Comment

samtools flagstat my_data.bam
                      You have to get samtools installed. I think you just do a make command. On my install, I think I had a slight problem with the curses file, someone admin at my work suggested I tweak that line in the make file slightly, and it works fine now.l

Comment

Another vote for Picard's CalculateHsMetrics. It's in the public Galaxy (http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/ under "NGS: Picard (beta)").

Comment

Picard by default does +/- 250 bp. I recommend using the same file for baits and targets: you can have baits that extend past targets and hence get more coverage for baits than for target if you had all of your target sequence covered by baits. If you had say only 80% of your targets covered by baits, then you already know this, and it just complicates things to try to consider it again. So, again, I recommend using the actual bait intervals if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
                            Picard by default does +/- 250 bp. I recommend using the same file for baits and targets: you can have baits that extend past targets and hence get more coverage for baits than for target if you had all of your target sequence covered by baits. If you had say only 80% of your targets covered by baits, then you already know this, and it just complicates things to try to consider it again. So, again, I recommend using the actual bait intervals if possible.
                            I want to verify that picard does indeed use a +/- 250 bp around each target/bait, but have so far not been able to find this written down anywhere. Where did you come by this information?

Also, can the interval be modified (to, say, +/- 300bp)?

Comment

Somewhere there is a web page that has the code for each of the programs... I stumbled on it before and am not really a computer guy so don't know where to find it. But it had 250 set for that metric.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses