Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SamH
    Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 15

    #1

    samtools/bcftools missing obvious SNPs?

    Hi, I am having some trouble with what appears to be missed calls for SNPs while using the samtools/bcftools package.
    I am using the latest release samtools 0.1.18 (r982:295), and bcftools 0.1.17-dev (r973:277). My reads are SE Illumina, which have been trimmed of low-quality ends and discarded if they contain low-quality internal bases. Reads are ~55bp long, and coverage is 300-500x per sample.

    I first aligned against a reference genome using bwa and sorted using samtools:
    bwa aln -t 3 ./ST3-index/NC_015433_mod.fna ../03-Trimmed/s_3_trimmed.fastq > s_3.aln.sai
    bwa samse ./ST3-index/NC_015433_mod.fna s_3.aln.sai ../03-Trimmed/s_3_trimmed.fastq | gzip > s_3.sam.gz
    samtools view -uS s_3.sam.gz | samtools sort - s_3

    I then calculated coverage:
    samtools mpileup -BQ0 -d10000000 -f ./ST3-index/NC_015433_mod.fna s_1.bam s_2.bam s_3.bam > SSIM_1-2-3_coverage.mpileup

    As well as unfiltered variants:
    samtools mpileup -uf ./ST3-index/NC_015433_mod.fna s_1.bam s_2.bam s_3.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > SSIM_1-2-3_variants.bcf
    bcftools view SSIM_1-2-3_variants.bcf > SSIM_1-2-3_variants.vcf

    I then started spot checking some of the more interesting variants using a bam viewer (tablet) when I noticed something odd. One of the variants which showed up in the bam file, wasn't listed at all in the vcf file. I checked this position in the mpileup file, and it appears as if it should be an obvious SNP with very deep coverage. I am hoping that someone can please help me understand why this SNP wouldn't be called by bcftools.

    Relevant mpileup line for the missing SNP (position 569984 in ref) is:
    NC_015433.1_Ss_ST3 569984 A 376 C$C$C$c$c$CCcCCCccCcccCccccCCcccccCccCCcccCCCCCccccccccCcCCCcccCCCCCCCcCCcCCccccCCCccccCccCCCccCCCcCcCCCcCCccCCCCCccccccccCCccccCccccCccccccCCccccCCcCCCCcccccCCCcCCCCCcCCCCCcccCCCcCcCCcCcCcCcCcccCCCccCCccCCcCcCCCCCcCCCCCcccCCccccccccCCCCcCCCcccCCCcccCCcCCCCccCccCCCCCCCccccCCCccCCCcccCCCCcCCCcccCCCCCCcccCCCCccCcCcCCCCCCCCCcCccCCCCCCCcccccCCCCCCCccCCcCCCccCccCCCCCccccCCcCcccc^FC^FC^Fc^FC^Fc hhhghgghgghfhhfhggehdhhhhhfhhhffgfchYhhghhfhhhghghcfgghhhhcghhhggchgfchhhffhggh_ffhhggghffcghghfafhhhhchhhhhhchgghcgghfhhffffa_chdhhghhhhhfhhfgfghhgghhhghhfghfhghhchgfghhhhhghhfhhfghhhgdffgghhghfhhchhhhfgfhgggghfgghhfhghfhfhdhhhhg^ghchhfeghhhhhhhghgggghghhhhgdghhhhhfhhhghhhchhgcgghhgghhcghehhfh]hhgfhhhhhhhhhghhgghgafehcgfhhhhghhhfhhhhhhdghhhhhhhfhhhhfhhhhhhcghgh[ghhgh_hh`hh 505 C$C$C$C$C$C$c$c$C$C$CCcccccctccccCCCCCcccCccccCCcccccCCCcCcccCCCCcccccCCCcccccCCcCccCCCcCccccCCcCcCccCCCCcccccCcCcCccccccccccccccccCCCCCCcCcccCCCccccccCCccCcCCCCCCcccCCCCCCCCcccCCCCCCccCcCccccCcccCccCCCCcccCCCCcccCCCCCcCCcccCCCCCCCcccccCCCCCCCcCccCcccccCCCCCcccCCCCCCCCcCcCcCcccCCCCCCcCcCCCCCCcCcCcCCCccccCCCCCCccCCcCCCCCccCCCCCcCCCCCCccCCCccCCCCCCCccccccCccCCcccCCccccCcccccCccCcccCcCCCcccCCCCCCCcccCcCCccccccCCcccccCccCCCCCccCccccCCCCcccccCCcCCCcCCCCCCCccccccCcCCCcccCcCcccCCCCCCCccccCCCccCccCCCCCcccCc^FC^FC^FC^FC^Fc^Fc^Fc^Fc^Fc^FC^Fc fhhhggghhgghdhhfhhhhhghhcchfhhhfhhhhhhhhhh_hghhhhhhhhhfgaffhhhheghdfdghdhhgggfhfhhhgefhdhf_ghghfh_ghghghcfhhghchhghgggfgchghghhhhfYdfghfagggehafggfdhhhgde_hghhhhhhhhfefhfhhhhhfggahhdhhhhgffhhhhfhfhhhhfhhhhghfahhgghfhhhhhhgehhhedhhfhdehghafghhhhhghhhfhhhhhdhehghghhhhhhgghhhghhhhhfhhhhhhhhhhhhghhhhhhhhhhhhhfhfghhhggghhhhfhghggehaghhgh_hhhhhhchgfhhchhfhhdfhfhhhhhhhbhhghhahhghhhhaghghhhhhhh\hhfhhhhghhhhghhfhhhghhfh_cchhhhghghhffhhhahhgcgehhfhghhhdghhhhhhhfhhehhhhghhchhfhchfhfhhhhhhhfchhhfggdhghgfhhhghhhf 447 C$C$C$C$C$C$c$CCCCCCcccCCCccCCCCCCccccCcCccccCcCCccccCcccCCCCcccCCcCCCCCcCcccCCcccCCCCCCCCCCCcCccccCccCCcccCcCCcCccccCCcccCcCcccCCCccCccCCccccCccCcCcccCCccCCcccccCCCCCcCccCCccccCCCCCcccccCCCcCcCCCCCccCcCCCcCCCccccCCCCCcCcCccCCCCCCccCCCCCCccCcccccCCCCCCCCCCccccCCcCCCCCCCccCCCCCCCCcccCcCCCCCCcCCCCCccccccCccCCCCcccccCCcCcCCCCccCCccCCCccCCccccCCCCCCccCCCCcCCCCCCCCCCcCCccCccCccCCCccccccCcccCCCCCCCCccccCCCCcccCcCcccCCCCCCCCcccccCCCCCCccCcCCCCcc^FC^FC^FC^FC^FC^FC^FC^FC^Fc^FC^Fc^Fc hfhhghhhhfhhfhhhfhghhhhhchegfhaghhhhhhhhhgghfgcfhhhhghghhhhghhgfchfhghhgghdhgfhhhhghggghhhhfhg\gfhcehhghfh^Whfdhggghfgchhhhfhahgfchgfgghgghghhgeehdhdggdfffhhfhghggfgdfghhfhghhhhehfghhhhhehghhhdhhghdgghggdchhhghhhhhhhhhhhhhggghgdhhfghfgahfhghfhhhehhhghfhfhhhhhhcghhhghgghhhhahhhffgdghhghhgghhghghhchhhhhhhhfhgcfhh^fhghhhhhhfhhghfhhfhchhgghghhhhhhffahhg^hgghhhhhfghhggdch\hhhhhcffhghhghhhhhgfhgghdghhhhehhhhhhhhhgffahghhhhfahchgghgfhhghhhfhhhchfghgd

    A nearby SNP which did show up in the vcf file and is very similar:
    NC_015433.1_Ss_ST3 542551 A 237 g$GGGgGGgGgGGGggggGGGGGGGggGGGGGggGgGgGGGGGGgggGgggGGGGGGgggGggGGGGGGGggGgGGgGgGGGGGGgggGGGGggGGGGgGGGggGGggGggGGggggGggggGggggGGGGGgggGgGGGgggGgGGGGGggGGGgggGGGGgggGgGgGggGggggGgGgggGGGGGGggGGGggGgGGGGgGGGGGgGGgGgGGGGgGGGGGgGGGGGGGggGggg hhfhhfghhhfdghhghcfgfffbhhfgchhhhghhhhfhhhahgfdhhdfhfeffgggfhghhhhghhfhfhhhhfhggf]gfhghhhhhgh_fdhhfgghaggagghhfghhhhdhghgghhhghgggchhhggggghhgddhgafgahhhgfhgfggfghhfhfhfhhchghhg\fhhhcffgcgghfdchgchggfghhfhdhhgghfhhfhghfhhffhfhghgfghhdhhh 270 G$G$G$g$g$GGGGGGgGgGGGGGGggGGGgggGGgggGGGgGgGgGGGGGGgGGgGGggGGGGGGggggGGggGGGGggGGGGGGgGgGGggggggGGgGGGGGGgggGGgGggGgGggggGggGgGGGGggGgggGGGggggGGGGGGgGGGGGGGGGgGggggGGGGGgGGGGGggGggGGGGGGgggGgGGGGgGgGGGGGGGggGggggGGGGGGGGgggGgGGGGgGGGGgggggGGGGGGGggGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGggGGg dhhhgfgehffhghdffccghh\chhhgfchghfhahhhhgchehgdhcghhfghgeffdhhfhhhgghhhhfhhcfhdfhhfffcchghhhfghhhfhffhehdchhcgdhhhhhgghhcgfhfhhhcghhhffhhhhfgggghhghdeggggchchhhhhfggf\egfcgghghhhhffffhhhfh\dfdhfhfgffgfahg\hhhhdfcc_affhfhgfhffhhfhhhhhhhgdffhdffhhghhhghhghhfafghchfhhfgfXh 285 G$G$G$g$g$GGggGGGgggggggGgGggggGggggGGgggggggggGGGggGGgGgGGggGGGggGGGGGGggGGgggGGGGGGggGggGGGGGGGGgGggGgGGGgGGGGgGgGgGGGgggggggGggggGGGGGGgggGggGGGggGGGGGGgggggggggGggGggGGGGGGGGGGggggGGGGggGgGggGGgGGggGggggGGGGGggGGGGGGGGGGggGGGGGgggGGGGGGgggGGGGggggGGGGggggGgGgggGGGGgGGGGGGGGGgGGGGGGGGgg gchhffhgh^gfhghhhhgdecghhfdhhhhdfhhffhhhhgbfhhfehhfhc^hhfffhhcfdhchhhaahfhggghfdghfhegfhfdefffehhghghYhdgahhfhhhfffhhhhdhhfhhchcgffffhhggfhhhdgcdfgfgfhhghahghhghcahdgghhfffgdfhhhhefgfhhghchhhfgfchhghhggfgdffhhfdffffffafhhgfffchhhfafddfhfhcgcfhhhfffhfchggfgfhhhhhfhhhhhhbhhhhhhhhf\fhdfh


    And the two lines from the vcf file which should be flanking the missing SNP:

    NC_015433.1_Ss_ST3 543182 0 T G 999 0 DP=1575;VDB=0.0742;AF1=1;AC1=6;DP4=1,0,597,717;MQ=37;FQ=-260;PV4=0.45,7.8e-131,0.46,0.4 GT:PL:GQ 1/1:244,255,0:99 1/1:235,255,0:99 1/1:217,255,0:99 2 2 2
    NC_015433.1_Ss_ST3 570005 0 C T 999 0 DP=1403;VDB=0.0710;AF1=0.6667;AC1=4;DP4=239,177,498,334;MQ=37;FQ=999;PV4=0.43,0,0.24,1 GT:PL:GQ 0/0:0,255,255:99 1/1:255,255,0:99 1/1:255,255,0:99 0 2 2

    Although I have only discovered one of these cases, I am concerned that I might be missing other variants as well.

    Thanks for taking a look.

    Sam
  • colindaven
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 417

    #2
    Try running Samtools mpileup with the BAQ option turned off (-B) and checking the same position. The SNP may have been masked.

    Comment

    • rand
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 4

      #3
      Thanks, it helped me.

      Comment

      • SamH
        Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 15

        #4
        Yeah, adding -B made that SNP appear:

        NC_015433.1_Ss_ST3 569984 . A C 999 . DP=1328;VDB=0.0735;AF1=1;AC1=6;DP4=0,0,657,577;MQ=37;FQ=-288 GT:PL:GQ 1/1:255,255,0:99 1/1:255,255,0:99 1/1:255,255,0:99


        thanks for the tip!

        Sam

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        10 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        32 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...