Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script for extracting random sub-set of sequences

I have sequence data that was created using several different primers. I found that the samples have large variation in sequences, depending on the primer used. I therefore wanted to create a file that randomly selects 1000 sequences, and then put these in a new FASTA file.

My strategy is to put the sequences in a hash, split by the '>'. Then, assign each a number, and then randomly select the numbers that are assigned to the sequences, and then put this in a new FASTA file.
    I haven't gotten this to work yet, but does anyone know a simpler method for doing this?

With Biopieces you can do:

Code:
    read_fasta -i input.fna | random_records -n 1000 | write_fasta -o random.fna -x

Comment

cat data | shuf | head -NUMBEROFLINES

If the input is fasta, you'll have to join every other line with the next line and undo it. Example:

cat test.fa| awk '{if ((NR%2)==0)print prev"XXXXXX"$0;prev=$0;}' | shuf | head -1000 | sed 's/XXXXXX/\n/'

The shuf may not hang out in your /usr/sbin/ , if not, try

sort -R file.txt | head -NUMBER OF LINES

yep, "sort by random" !!!

Comment

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16505
        --------------
        Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Finney View Post
          cat data | shuf | head -NUMBEROFLINES

If the input is fasta, you'll have to join every other line with the next line and undo it. Example:

cat test.fa| awk '{if ((NR%2)==0)print prev"XXXXXX"$0;prev=$0;}' | shuf | head -1000 | sed 's/XXXXXX/\n/'

The shuf may not hang out in your /usr/sbin/ , if not, try

sort -R file.txt | head -NUMBER OF LINES

yep, "sort by random" !!!
          Beware that shuf and sort -R are GNU. If you have a BSD system (OS X, FreeBSD...) those won't work.

Comment

I think this technique would work on BSD systems (and GNU systems) ...

cat file.txt | awk '{print rand()" "$0}' | sort -n | head -1000 | cut -f2-9999 -d" "

Comment

Suppose we want to sample n elements from a pool of N. The space complexity of the Biopieces solution is O(N) as it loads all sequences into memory. I guess shuf is no better. The optimal algorithm is to use reservoir sampling. The space complexity is O(n) instead of O(N). Of course, if N is not so large, it does not matter.

The following is an awk snippet that randomly samples k=10 lines from a text file. Note that this program maximally keeps k=10 lines in memory.

Code:
              cat file.txt|awk -v k=10 '{y=x++<k?x-1:int(rand()*x);if(y<k)a[y]=$0}END{for(z in a)print a[z]}'
              With bioawk, you can process fasta files this way:

Code:
              awk -c fastx -v k=10 '{y=x++<k?x-1:int(rand()*x);if(y<k)a[y]=">"$name"\n"$seq}END{for(z in a)print a[z]}' seq.fa.gz
              Last edited by lh3; 01-14-2012, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Re: ETHANol's post: Here's a link to a script we made that will subsample any fastq or fasta file:

http://cl.ly/3Q2Y1Z222M0J220w3c1I

Type subsampler.py -h for instructions - can do SE and PE reads.

Comment

Originally posted by maasha View Post
                  With Biopieces you can do:

Code:
                  read_fasta -i input.fna | random_records -n 1000 | write_fasta -o random.fna -x
                  Thanks Maasha. I've had some difficulty installing Biopieces. Particularly, I haven't been able to install the required perl modules. I get errors like this:
                  ERROR: Can't create '/Library/Perl/Updates/5.12.3/Module'
                  mkdir /Library/Perl/Updates/5.12.3/Module: Permission denied at /System/Library/Perl/5.12/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 494

Do you know how to get around this?

Comment

You need the correct permissions. Try using "sudo". Also, you should probably not contaminate this thread with Perl support request. Try stack-exchange or the Biopieces google group.

Cheers

Martin

Comment

Working...
                    X