Thank you. This works!
I have one more question about the alignment. How do I set a threshold on P value or the minimum length of alignments. Basically, I don't want alignments which are too short, such as shorted than 50bp.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Not sure whether you'll see massive improvements, but you should set -e much higher (you set it lower than the default 70), it is in mismatch qualities, not bases. Try something extreme like "-e 9999999" to see whether that gives you more alignments...Originally posted by shuang View Postthe average read length of my RNA-seq is 83. The reference sequences are coding sequences, including genomic, chloroplast, and mitochondria of the same species and strain.
Ideally, I want to set a threshold about 90% identity in finding matches. I set the parameters as -n 2 -l 15 -e 10
However, the aligned reads were only about 30% while I expected it to be almost 100%. Where did I do wrong?
Leave a comment:
-
the average read length of my RNA-seq is 83. The reference sequences are coding sequences, including genomic, chloroplast, and mitochondria of the same species and strain.
Ideally, I want to set a threshold about 90% identity in finding matches. I set the parameters as -n 2 -l 15 -e 10
However, the aligned reads were only about 30% while I expected it to be almost 100%. Where did I do wrong?
Leave a comment:
-
With Bowtie, the -n option (0-3) is for the seed only (usually the first 28 bases in the read), if you increase -e (max sum of mismatch quals) more mismatches in the whole alignment are allowed. You could also use the -v option (report end-to-end hits w/ <=v mismatches; ignore qualities) instead of -e if you want to allow a specific number of mismatches.Originally posted by shuang View PostMy data reads are all bout 100bp. I want to count any alignments which are 90% identified and up. I notice that bowtie only allows max mismatches to be 3. How do I increase mismatch to be 10?
The settings in Bowtie2 (currently in beta5) are simplified and might suit your purposes better...
Leave a comment:
-
My data reads are all bout 100bp. I want to count any alignments which are 90% identified and up. I notice that bowtie only allows max mismatches to be 3. How do I increase mismatch to be 10?
Leave a comment:
-
I used bowtie for alignment and samtools idxstats for counting. It works!
However, bowtie only allows me set a alignment constrain by a number of mismatches. Can I set a constrain by either identity percentage or P-value via bowtie or other tools?
Leave a comment:
-
Leave a comment:
-
BEDtools coverageBed with a bed file of genes can be used with a bam file from bowtie...
Leave a comment:
-
"samtools idxstats file.bam" seems to compute the number of reads per reference sequence -typically chromosomes. To get the number of reads per gene htseq-count is a valid option indeed. I think that BEDtools is another one.Originally posted by arvid View PostI like to use RSEM for mapping (uses Bowtie) and isoform expression estimations, followed by DESeq for the differential expression statistics.
If you just want raw read counts, map your reads (take some time to find the right software and options here, as this depends on the sequencing technology, sample and reference) and extract the counts from the BAM file with "samtools idxstats".
BTW, I am curious to know if one is much faster than the other one.
Leave a comment:
-
I like to use RSEM for mapping (uses Bowtie) and isoform expression estimations, followed by DESeq for the differential expression statistics.
If you just want raw read counts, map your reads (take some time to find the right software and options here, as this depends on the sequencing technology, sample and reference) and extract the counts from the BAM file with "samtools idxstats".
Leave a comment:
-
The program I mentioned above, htseq-count, takes a sam alignment file and a gtf/gff file describing your features and gives you the number of reads aligning to each feature. This is then appropriate for use in various statistical programs such as DESeq and EdgeR.
Leave a comment:
-
I was also suggested to use Bowtie. Bowtie basically outputs an alignment report. Then, how to do the counting/statistics part?
Leave a comment:
-
-
counting RNA-seq matches
I have a data set of RNA-seq. I also have a set of genome wide coding sequences.
My goal is to count the number of matches of each coding sequence which is queried by RNA-seq. What kind of tools would fit my purpose?Tags: None
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
-
by SEQadmin2
The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.
This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...-
Channel: Articles
09-01-2026, 05:41 AM -
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
28 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
24 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
46 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
|
1 response
55 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:12 AM
|
Leave a comment: