After a struggle to get samtools successfully installed and working on my windows machine, I'm now having trouble (I think) indexing a bam file. I'm using cygwin to use samtools. I'm planning on visualizing a metagenomic sequence for SNP screening in IGV but the bam file format isn't supported. A message pops up saying that the bam file needs to be indexed. In samtools I'm using ./samtools sort <file.bam> <file.sorted> and a sorted file is successfully made. However when I go to index the file using ./samtools index file.sorted.bam a 24kb file is made. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Thank you all for your help so far.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
When I try to load a .bam file it tells me it needs to be indexed. Do I have to load both the .bam and the index simultaneously?
Comment
-
-
Hi,
I'd like to make a slight correction for the benefit of future googlers. IGV will not create an index for a BAM file, although we might add this in the future. Use samtools or Picard to create such an index. It will index a SAM file for you, that is an IGV specific index created before the BAM index spec and implementation were finished, i.e. a long time ago. We keep it for backward compatibility, but it is not the same index as the BAM file index.
Jim
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
43 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
50 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
42 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment