Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify and visualize differentially expressed genes from RNA-Seq data?

Hi All,
    I have aligned RNA Seq data for four healthy controls and four patients, in bam format. Then I made a table for RPKM for all the genes. Now how do I quickly identify and visualize those differentially expressed genes in patients? In other words, how to identify which genes are expressed more in patients but not in healthy control? I've tried SAM (significant analysis for microarray ) but no good. Any suggestions? Thanks!

There are several programs in R that are for differential expression of RNA-seq data:

EdgeR
    DESeq
    BaySeq
    DEGseq

However the input for these programs is raw read counts, not RPKM normalized genes.

Comment

What tool did you use?
      is the result by exon? or gene? how does it correct for gene overlap?

How would you like to visualize the results? As a list? On the genome? On pathways or ontologies?

Comment

@chadn737
        Thanks!
        @Richard Finney
        I used Seqmonk to generate RPKM , results are by exons but can be averaged to by genes. I would like to visualize in a hierarchical clustered heat map, like many microarray data.

Comment

Hello mediator,

I have found that MeV is very helpful in visualizing RNA-seq expression data. It is well-documented and easy to implement.

Cheers,
          Kevin

Comment

@kjlee
            Thanks for the advice! I already use MeV for microarray. Pretty handy. Let's see how RNA-Seq data goes with MeV.

Comment

Hi all
              I have RNA-seq data (2 control sets and 2 test sets). I have generated the *.sorted.bam files (~1GB) through bowtie software. Right now I am using cufflinks software to generate RPKM values to get differential gene expression quantitatively. In cufflinks, I followed the command:
              cufflinks control_1.sorted.bam
              It takes much time on cluster (thats reasonable for 1gb INPUT files I guess). The output file (say transcript.gtf) is having RPKM values. I want to know how to proceed further to get final list of differentially expressed genes with corresponding RPKM values.
              Do I have to run the above command for all input files (viz. control_2.sorted.bam, test_1.sorted.bam, test_2.sorted.bam)?
              Also How to compare RPKM values finally ?
              Thanks in advance..
              Kumardeep

Comment

Hi Kumardeep

You should always start a new thread if you're asking a new question, even if it is related (you can always refer to the other thread).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses