Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75mer mapping with BOWTIE

Hey all,

I'm looking for some input on tuning BOWTIE for 75mer RNA-seq reads from mus - any suggestions? I'm currently allowing only unique hits, and using 68bp as seed length, but that may be too conservative.

Best,
    Johannes Waage
    Uni. of Copenhagen

Hi Johannes,

That's certainly reasonable; I suggest doing a series of runs using your target data but also using the -u parameter to cut the job off after a certain number of reads so that it doesn't take forever. Doing several such runs with different sets of parameters (but the same -u) should help you determine the sweet spot w/r/t speed and sensitivity.

Ben

Comment

Hi,

We are doing this routinely. We typically use the -v 2 option and use an index made from both the genome and splice junctions with 69 nt on either side of the junction. Surprisingly, we get a very large fraction of reads that map uniquely using these parameters.

Brent

Comment

Hi Johannes:
        How do you deal with exon junctions? some exons will be shorter than 75bps. Try tophat?

Xuying

Comment

Can you tell me what reference are you using?
          -drd

Comment

Originally posted by drio View Post
            Can you tell me what reference are you using?
            mm9 combined with a combinatorial exon-exon DB (142mers, requiring overlap of 4nt)

Comment

Working...
            X