Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pinin4fjords
    Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 11

    #31
    Hi all,

    I just wanted to add a +1 for some of the issues mentioned in this thread with Cufflinks 2. My data are from an Illumina 78bp paired-end protocol, with 7 and 5 replicates in two conditions.

    I was previously using 1.3, with a command like:

    cuffdiff -c 0 -p 4 -u -b <GENOME_FILE> -o <OUT_DIR> -L <LABELS> -M <MASK FILE> --library-type fr-unstranded merged.gtf <CONDITION 1 CUFFLINKS OUTPUTS> <CONDITION 2 CUFFLINKS OUTPUTS>

    I was already using -c 0, since I have genes that are on/off between conditions and were being excluded due to low read counts in the 'off'. This produced results that seemed plausible, but I like the sound of the quoted improvements in 2.0- particularly the improved reporting of FPKMs.

    Cuffdiff 2.0 with the same options produced the extreme numbers of NOTESTs described above. After reading this thread I first set --min-outlier-p to 0, which did not solve the problem. Then I removed -b (--frag-bias-correct), which produces results closer to (though even more conservative) than 1.3.

    My conclusion: this beta not yet ready for widespread use.

    Comment

    • Cole Trapnell
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 213

      #32
      Originally posted by pinin4fjords View Post
      Hi all,

      I just wanted to add a +1 for some of the issues mentioned in this thread with Cufflinks 2. My data are from an Illumina 78bp paired-end protocol, with 7 and 5 replicates in two conditions.

      I was previously using 1.3, with a command like:

      cuffdiff -c 0 -p 4 -u -b <GENOME_FILE> -o <OUT_DIR> -L <LABELS> -M <MASK FILE> --library-type fr-unstranded merged.gtf <CONDITION 1 CUFFLINKS OUTPUTS> <CONDITION 2 CUFFLINKS OUTPUTS>

      I was already using -c 0, since I have genes that are on/off between conditions and were being excluded due to low read counts in the 'off'. This produced results that seemed plausible, but I like the sound of the quoted improvements in 2.0- particularly the improved reporting of FPKMs.

      Cuffdiff 2.0 with the same options produced the extreme numbers of NOTESTs described above. After reading this thread I first set --min-outlier-p to 0, which did not solve the problem. Then I removed -b (--frag-bias-correct), which produces results closer to (though even more conservative) than 1.3.

      My conclusion: this beta not yet ready for widespread use.
      We are testing a pre-release that fixes the issues reported so far, at least in our hands. Can you try:



      (No mac build or source yet - we were only able to reproduce this with our pre-compiled linux binary anyways)

      Comment

      • pinin4fjords
        Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 11

        #33
        Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
        We are testing a pre-release that fixes the issues reported so far, at least in our hands. Can you try:



        (No mac build or source yet - we were only able to reproduce this with our pre-compiled linux binary anyways)
        Okay, will do. Do you still recommend the min-outlier-p option? Have corrections been made to Cuffdiff only, or is it necessary to re-run the whole Cufflinks sequence?

        Comment

        • NicoBxl
          not just another member
          • Aug 2010
          • 264

          #34
          I've exactly the same problem with the -b param.

          Comment

          • glados
            Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 59

            #35
            Cole, can you please take a look at this boxplot of one of the genes. I don't think the error bars are due to variances in my samples.
            Attached Files

            Comment

            • Cole Trapnell
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 213

              #36
              Hmm, we see that sometimes when one or more of the libraries have extremely low sequencing yield, for example. Can you show me a csDendro plot with replicates=T? It's important to verify that the replicates for each sample really segregate together. It might also be helpful to see a dispersion plot for each condition. If you're worried about revealing sample names you can email it to [email protected].

              Comment

              • gesdy
                Junior Member
                • Jun 2012
                • 3

                #37
                Hi Cole,
                I used the cuffdiff version you posted, and now it works.
                I repeated the same analysis with the new version and the 1.3 (cuffdiff)
                I got 43 genes called significant with cuffdiff2 and 940 with cuffdiff1.3
                I have just one replicate for each conditions.
                Do you think it's normal?
                here my command line:

                cuffdiff -b genome.fa -p 10 -u genes.gtf

                any suggestions?
                thank you very much!
                Mat

                Comment

                • pinin4fjords
                  Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 11

                  #38
                  I also confirm that the numbers produced using the new version at #32 look more sensible (using -b and min-outlier-p).

                  Comment

                  • Cole Trapnell
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 213

                    #39
                    Originally posted by gesdy View Post
                    Hi Cole,
                    I used the cuffdiff version you posted, and now it works.
                    I repeated the same analysis with the new version and the 1.3 (cuffdiff)
                    I got 43 genes called significant with cuffdiff2 and 940 with cuffdiff1.3
                    I have just one replicate for each conditions.
                    Do you think it's normal?
                    here my command line:

                    cuffdiff -b genome.fa -p 10 -u genes.gtf

                    any suggestions?
                    thank you very much!
                    Mat
                    Hi Mat,

                    That sounds fair to me - Cuffdiff 2 is far more conservative at the gene level than was 1.3 (as detailed on the site), and with a single replicate per sample, even more so. This isn't too surprising to me.

                    Comment

                    • Cole Trapnell
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 213

                      #40
                      Originally posted by pinin4fjords View Post
                      I also confirm that the numbers produced using the new version at #32 look more sensible (using -b and min-outlier-p).
                      That's excellent - thanks to you and others in this thread for the helpful feedback. The official release of 2.0.1 is imminent.

                      Comment

                      • sdodson
                        Junior Member
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 1

                        #41
                        Hi,

                        I'm a novice in RNA-seq analysis, and I have a question regarding Cuffdiff...

                        We generated our RNA-seq data using the Illumina HiSeq2000, and have been following the data analysis protocol for Tophat, Cufflinks, ect. from Nature Protocols. We are currently using Tophat v1.4.1 and Cufflinks v1.3.0. Our Cuffdiff output shows 10371 of 27080 genes are NOTEST. In an effect to decrease this value, can we re-run our data through the newest version of Cuffdiff without first re-running it through the newest version of Cufflinks? Or is something else we can change to minimize the number of NOTEST genes? (such as using -c 0 ?)

                        Thanks!

                        Comment

                        • billstevens
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • 120

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
                          That's excellent - thanks to you and others in this thread for the helpful feedback. The official release of 2.0.1 is imminent.
                          Hi Cole,

                          Thanks for all the notes. However, I'm getting the same issue here. I have 46,000 reads that test, and 40,000 that have NOTEST. I am using the -b option, but not -c 0, and not the multi-read correct or frag bias. I'm using Cufflinks 2.0.1 and Tophat 1.4. Was the shortcoming in regards to -b addressed in the newest Cufflinks?

                          Comment

                          • MeixiaZhao
                            Junior Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • 9

                            #43
                            Hello,
                            I used the latest version cufflinks 2.0.2, comparing with my previous results from 1.3.0, the results are unbelievable:
                            Gene level: I got 340 significant genes with cuffdiff2 and 2692 with cuffdiff1.3;
                            Isoform level: I got 272 significant isoforms with cuffdiff2 and 11380 with cuffdiff1.3;
                            My samples are single replicate.
                            Any solutions to judge the results? Or which version should I use for later analysis?
                            Thanks a lot!

                            Comment

                            • billstevens
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 120

                              #44
                              Originally posted by MeixiaZhao View Post
                              Hello,
                              I used the latest version cufflinks 2.0.2, comparing with my previous results from 1.3.0, the results are unbelievable:
                              Gene level: I got 340 significant genes with cuffdiff2 and 2692 with cuffdiff1.3;
                              Isoform level: I got 272 significant isoforms with cuffdiff2 and 11380 with cuffdiff1.3;
                              My samples are single replicate.
                              Any solutions to judge the results? Or which version should I use for later analysis?
                              Thanks a lot!
                              I've spoken to Cole about this extensively, and he says the new version is just much more accurate. It is an absolute shock going from one to the other.

                              Comment

                              • jwaage
                                Member
                                • Sep 2008
                                • 16

                                #45
                                Hi all; I too, have some similar problems - I'm running the newest cuffdiff (2.0.2) on a two-sample, two-replicates illumina run using

                                cuffdiff --mask-file xxx.gtf -upper-quartile-norm

                                genes.diff and isoforms.diff are fine (although not many are called DE), but splicing.diff and promoters.diff only have NOTEST, LOWDATA or FAIL.

                                Any suggestions? I've tried running with -c 1, but to no avail.

                                All the best,
                                Johannes Waage
                                Uni of. Copenhagen

                                Comment

                                Latest Articles

                                Collapse

                                • SEQadmin2
                                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                  by SEQadmin2


                                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                  ...
                                  Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                                • SEQadmin2
                                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                  by SEQadmin2




                                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                                ad_right_rmr

                                Collapse

                                News

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
                                0 responses
                                1 view
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                                0 responses
                                31 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                                0 responses
                                25 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                                1 response
                                46 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post pekgio
                                by pekgio
                                 
                                Working...