Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • billstevens
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 120

    #16
    Originally posted by arvid View Post
    RAM up to ~32 GB is quite cheap; this week I bought another 8 GB for my workstation, which cost us less than US$ 100 (computer brand memory, I guess you can get it much cheaper). I'd invest a few hundred dollars to get a 8 core 16 GB machine, with that you can do expression analysis quite well, in my opinion (no de novo assembly stuff, however)... Or buy cloud computing time.
    Thanks for the advice! I've been looking for a machine that has 8 core, but I couldn't find anything that was commercially available for that (unless it was a MacPro, which was $12000). What kind of PC do you have? Did you just build it yourself?

    Comment

    • arvid
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 156

      #17
      Originally posted by billstevens View Post
      Thanks for the advice! I've been looking for a machine that has 8 core, but I couldn't find anything that was commercially available for that (unless it was a MacPro, which was $12000). What kind of PC do you have? Did you just build it yourself?
      I've sent you a PM.

      Comment

      • arvid
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 156

        #18
        Originally posted by alexdobin View Post
        1. Yes, STAR detects insertions and deletions
        2. The minimum intron size is determined by the --scoreDelLmax (=20 by default). If the genomic gap is below that value, it's considered deletion, otherwise - intron. The maximum intron size is approximately determined by winAnchorDistNbins*2^winBinNbits = 9*2^16~600kbases by default, which we think works well for mammalian genomes, but you can increase it at will by increasing --winAnchorDistNbins. There is yet another parameter --winFlankNbins that determines maximum gap for lower confidence introns: winFlankNbins*2^winBinNbits.
        Ok, I might try it out. I suppose you can *lower* these settings as well? For e.g. Arabidopsis I'd set something like 3-10k bases for max intron size (3 for lower FDR, 10 for maximum sensitivity) and ~10 bases as minimum intron size... At the moment GSNAP performs better than TopHat with such settings (in my hands at least) - but I'd be interested in trying alternatives.

        Comment

        • alexdobin
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 161

          #19
          Originally posted by arvid View Post
          Ok, I might try it out. I suppose you can *lower* these settings as well? For e.g. Arabidopsis I'd set something like 3-10k bases for max intron size (3 for lower FDR, 10 for maximum sensitivity) and ~10 bases as minimum intron size... At the moment GSNAP performs better than TopHat with such settings (in my hands at least) - but I'd be interested in trying alternatives.
          You can lower the settings, in your case I would recommend
          --scoreDelLmax 10 --winAnchorDistNbins 3 --winBinNbits 12 --winFlankNbins 1
          That would give the max intron size for high/low confidence of 12/4kb.

          If you decide to try STAR and have any questions/problems please email me at dobin~at~cshl.edu

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          7 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          31 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          47 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...