Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a replacement for wwwblast using new blastx+ toolkit

Either my Google powers are weak, or there is no update to NCBI's wwwblast since they changed over to the blast+ toolkit, i.e. since 2004.

So my question is, is there any replacement for the web interface functionality of wwwblast, that is, the graphical overview. It would be fairly easy to write a cgi wrapper for blast+, except the image of the blast hits would be missing.

Or am I doomed to keep using the old wwwblast (which still works, of course).

I take it your using an old copy installed at your location.
    New stuff is available at : ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/blast/executables/LATEST/

Comment

Our solution was to use the BLAST+ binaries via a local Galaxy server, see http://getgalaxy.org

Currently only the core BLAST options are exposed in the wrapper (feedback welcome, ideally on the galaxy-devel mailing list), but by integrating BLAST+ into Galaxy you can do things like filtering the results and downstream analysis.

This is particularly nice for BLAST'ing multiple query sequences at once, something wwwblast doesn't allow (IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
        This is particularly nice for BLAST'ing multiple query sequences at once, something wwwblast doesn't allow (IIRC).
        Actually, you can blast multiple sequences at once with wwwblast, but thanks for the Galaxy suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Finney View Post
          I take it your using an old copy installed at your location.
          New stuff is available at : ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/blast/executables/LATEST/
          Thank you. But this link, the same that the NCBI web page has, does not lead directly to wwwblast, but if you instead go to ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/blast/executables/release/2.2.26 then there are recent versions of wwwblast. Still with the legacy toolkit, not blast+, but at least I now know that they are maintaining it.
          Last edited by dsenalik; 03-16-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Note that BLAST 2.2.26 is the final release of the legacy BLAST toolkit, from now on it will be BLAST+ only.

Comment

Or try http://www.sequenceserver.com

Comment

I found this thread looking for help with deploying wwwblast. I downloaded and installed the latest blast+ (2.2.27+), downloaded preformatted databases, and installed the latest wwwblast (2.2.26) on my 64bit RHEL box, and deployed Apache. Blast+ works from CLI, wwwblast is accessible both locally and remotely, but wwwblast does not seem to go further than just accepting data. I presume that wwwblast is just front end of actual blast+ and invokes installed programs as needed. But I am not clear how wwwblast is connected to blast+ programs as I could not find any explanation in instructions, which I simply followed. As wwwblast does not perform the intended job, it appears I have missed something important. Please advise.

Comment

wwwblast (i.e. blast.REAL) does not use any of the blast+ programs, it is completely standalone.
                  I have found the tricky part is configuring the file .ncbirc (which is a hidden file) and blast.rc because instead of error messages you may just get "no hits found"
                  There seems to be no example .ncbirc in the distribution, here is mine:

Code:
                  [NCBI]
                  Data=/usr/local/bin/blast/data

[BLAST]
                  BLASTDB=/home/blastdbs

Comment

blast+ web interface

Thanks. NCBI helpdesk responded to my problem with suggestion that I have not enabled CGI execution in httpd.conf, so when I did it appeared to solve the problem. However, I am still getting a lot of "No hits found", so I guess something is still wrong. In this regard - where .ncbirc should be located? It is in my home directory (as user) - should it be where wwwblast execs are located? I have correct BLASTDB assignment in .ncbirc, but what is

Code:
                    [NCBI]
                    for?

In more general sense, I asked NCBI help desk guy that responded if there is/will be ever a web interface for blast+ similar to what one gets when uses online access. The answer was "I am afraid not". Man, that sucks, huh? So I guess CLI is the only option to use local install of blast2.2.27+ suite - I have not looked at Sequenceserver yet, but I am going to.
                    Last edited by yaximik; 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

In my case it is in the same directory as the blast.REAL cgi program.
                      Code:
                      in my case points to a directory with the five Matrix files:
                      PAM70 PAM30 BLOSUM80 BLOSUM62 BLOSUM45
                      I assume that works, but I admit I am not 100% sure about that.

Comment

Hi, based on your question "any replacement for the web interface functionality of wwwblast".
                        You may try:
                        a. SynaBlast - single query submission - http://synasite.mgrc.com.my/synasuit...enu.jsp?modN=1
                        b. SynaBlastMega - multiple query submission - http://synasite.mgrc.com.my/apps/syn..._BlastMega.jsp

Hope it helps

Comment

Ah, OK. In my case this data directory is in the same directory where all wwwblast executables and .cgi scripts are located, this is as installed following installation instructions. I should try to transfer .ncbirc to the same directory as this makes more sense. The blast installation directory has some ncbi_blast.rc file, which does not seem to have any meaningful role as its content makes little sense.

Comment

Originally posted by yannickwurm View Post
                            Well, I gave it a try as a front end to blast+. A data set of 16,000 sequences about 200 nt each, which could be entered only by means of copy/paste, was processed by blastx for about 48 hours. After blastx was done (the process ended) the output is flowing to stdout for 24 hours already without giving me a clue how long it is going to continue. The greyed out page in Firefox, from which the blastx job was launched, still shows data from the previous job. The worst thing is, as I found out, is that the output is not saved anywhere on machine or disk, so if I stop it or something stops it now, all results are lost. Even if I let it finish, I face an exciting opportunity to examine results of 16,000 queries manually in the browser window without any means to process data in a more efficient way. The interface, as it exists now, does not seem very usable. A little detail - when I posted this in google groups maintained by author(s), the message was simply deleted. Sorry.

Comment

Dear Yaximik,

apologies that SequenceServer isn't meeting your requirements. I think most users considering performing 16,000 BLAST queries will prefer using the command line over a graphical user interface.

Our aim with SequenceServer is to make BLASTing custom databases as accessible as possible to novice users. We cannot at this time provide all the features (e.g. in terms of output format & processing) that would satisfy power users and experienced bioinformaticians such as yourself.

Regarding your message to the mailing list - somehow it was autoclassified as spam by google groups but is now visible to all.

All the best & kind regards,

Yannick

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses