No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAGE tags

Hi Everybody!

My problem is about mapping where only the location of 5'end of the read is meaningful, rest of the sequence is needed only to direct this end into the location - let's call this location a CAGE tag.
    I did mapping using TopHat and while it is very easy to extract CAGE tags for +strand (it is read start position in SAM file), it is not at all the same story for minus strand. If this were bowtie mapping I would just add read length to the start position, but since this mapping allows for indels and exons it is always different number that would have to been added (it is possible to deduce it from CIGAR).
    Do any of you know a straightforward method of obtaining this CAGE tags, or I have to figure out how to use CIGAR?
    Best,
    Lukasz

Edit: After more extensive search I found that in R package GenomicRanges there is function cigarToWidth() which is what I need! Anyway, maybe there are some even easier solutions.
    Last edited by LukaszKielpinski; 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM.

Why did you use TopHat ? CAGE tags are short. It doesn't work well with reads less than about 50 bases long.

Comment

It is actually not exactly CAGE protocol, this is only "CAGE-like" mapping philosophy where only interesting information is the 5'end location. My reads are 94 nt.

Comment

CAGE pipeline software

Originally posted by Dario1984 View Post
        Why did you use TopHat ? CAGE tags are short. It doesn't work well with reads less than about 50 bases long.
        Dario1984 do you use as a pipeline the exact software mentioned in the article 1. Takahashi, H., et al., 5' end-centered expression profiling using cap-analysis gene expression and next-generation sequencing. Nat Protoc, 2012. 7(3): p. 542-61.

?

Since I haven't found any thing else this is what I use.

Comment

That's a good reference. I need to read it in detail. They use BWA to do mapping. I would agree with that. We use Bowtie, which is similar. TopHat is not relevant because the typical CAGE tags are 27 nt long. Lukasz has some strange protocol though, so it is relevant to him with the long read lengths that he has.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
            by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
            06-06-2024, 07:15 AM
          • seqadmin
            Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
            by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
            “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
            05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 06-17-2024, 06:54 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 06-14-2024, 07:24 AM
          0 responses