Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GATK variant calling on uniquely mapped reads?

Hello All,

Does GATK use uniquely mapped or reads that satisfy the parameter criteria for calling variants by default? How do I instruct GATK to use only uniquely mapped reads to variant calling?

Any comments or experience on this

Thanks

Raj

Hi ,

I think if you want to call variants only on uniquely mapped reads you can first remove duplicates using picardtools and then call variants using GATK.

Also you can do per base score recalibration with GATK and then call variants so that there is more confidence in calling variants.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Neha

Comment

I don't think so, because duplicate removal doesn't mean that reads mapped to multiple locations are eliminated. Both are two different concepts. why I am saying this because even if you dedup reads, still you would see reads with mapQ=0 (means reads mapped to more than one location in reference). I think, applying a mapQ cut-off would *also* be required to get uniquely mapped reads. What do you say?

Comment

I believe by default that reads with zero mapping quality are ignored by the UnifiedGenotyper. If you're curious, you could filter out such reads using the PrintReads tool and the MappingQualityZero filter (see the first example here: http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/ga...adsWalker.html

Comment

Originally posted by pravee1216 View Post
          I don't think so, because duplicate removal doesn't mean that reads mapped to multiple locations are eliminated. Both are two different concepts. why I am saying this because even if you dedup reads, still you would see reads with mapQ=0 (means reads mapped to more than one location in reference). I think, applying a mapQ cut-off would *also* be required to get uniquely mapped reads. What do you say?
          Maping quality does not tell whether reads are uniquely mapped or duplicate. It signifies the hypothesis of having confidence that read mapping to particular genomic position is correct. Higher the mapping quality value more is the confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by neha View Post
            Maping quality does not tell whether reads are uniquely mapped or duplicate. It signifies the hypothesis of having confidence that read mapping to particular genomic position is correct. Higher the mapping quality value more is the confidence.
            That is not necessarily true. If you have aligned your data with BWA then the recommended way to get "unique" reads (by Heng Li) is to filter on map quality. See the samtools FAQ under the section "I want to get `unique' alignments from SAM/BAM":
            Download SAM tools for free. SAM (Sequence Alignment/Map) is a flexible generic format for storing nucleotide sequence alignment. SAMtools provide efficient utilities on manipulating alignments in the SAM format.

In cases where reads are reliable (ie map "uniquely") mapq will be set to > 0 in BWA. I suspect this is specific to the aligner.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses