Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ehlin
    Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 12

    #1

    samtools psl2sam.pl usage?

    I have a .psl file generated from BLAT. I want to convert it to SAM so I can sort out relevant sequences. I tried using psl2sam.pl in SamTools but when I try to view I get:

    [samopen] no @SQ lines in the header.
    [sam_read1] missing header? Abort!

    I didn't specify any parameters when I ran psl2sam.pl, and I have no idea what any of them mean. The usage says:

    Usage: psl2sam.pl [-a 1] [-b 3] [-q 5] [-r 2] <in.psl>

    I have no idea what this means, could anyone explain? Thanks.
  • mgogol
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 197

    #2
    Well, usually that means a sam file is missing a header... I wonder if it wants one on the psl file, that seems weird. You can generate a header with:

    samtools view -bt genome.fa.fai sample.sam
    or
    picard CreateSequenceDictionary

    Comment

    • kmcarr
      Senior Member
      • May 2008
      • 1181

      #3
      Originally posted by ehlin View Post
      I have a .psl file generated from BLAT. I want to convert it to SAM so I can sort out relevant sequences. I tried using psl2sam.pl in SamTools but when I try to view I get:

      [samopen] no @SQ lines in the header.
      [sam_read1] missing header? Abort!

      I didn't specify any parameters when I ran psl2sam.pl, and I have no idea what any of them mean. The usage says:

      Usage: psl2sam.pl [-a 1] [-b 3] [-q 5] [-r 2] <in.psl>

      I have no idea what this means, could anyone explain? Thanks.
      Could you please show exactly the command you used.

      Comment

      • freeseek
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 8

        #4
        Command line for psl2bam conversion

        Assuming ref.fasta is the reference file used for alignment with blat and in.psl is the output of the blat alignment, these commands will generate the bam file from the blat alignments:
        Code:
        samtools faidx ref.fasta # if the reference is not already indexed
        psl2sam.pl in.psl | samtools view -bt ref.fasta.fai -o out.bam -

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        9 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        32 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        47 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...