Anyone aware of a tool that can convert a pileup file to BAM files.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
Yes, but theoretically you can re-create the BAM information from the pileup because all the information is stored in the pileup file. Or am I mistaken?
Comment
-
Going from pileup to bam is a theoretical possibility, but I doubt anyone has taken the trouble to make it a reality. Even the best you could do would miss out on some information, like pairing. Why do you want to do this?
Comment
-
The problem is I am using an RNA-Seq workflow that produces a pileup rather than a BAM, so I can't annotate it with GATK.
Comment
-
There must be an easier way to get what you want than resurrecting a bam from pileup. You could look at the files upstream of the pileup and see if they can be translated to bam format, or, on the other hand, go forward to create a vcf (or some other bed/gff file) from the pileup and annotate that.
Comment
-
I find myself in this situation using legacy data (e.g., original sequencing files from an old project were lost but pileups are still available). I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has come up with a good solution to this problem- any utilities out there that can convert a pileup to a bam or something like it?
Comment
-
You need to be more specific about the pileup format that is used. A text-based format like the output of 'samtools mpileup' would be easier to convert to SAM than a graphical image, for example. But even given the huge amount of information that could be extracted from 'samtools mpileup', it doesn't store everything. For example, the sequence names are not preserved, and no pairing information is retained.
Any pileup output which is nothing more than coverage values without linking between different bases will not be sufficient for generating a source SAM file.
Comment
-
That's a good point- I'm talking about the text-based format, and the experiment was run single-end so pairing isn't important. It's true that I wouldn't have the original read names, but naively that doesn't seem very important- is there software that actually uses those, beyond for read pairing?
That said, I suppose that I hadn't considered whether the pileup format explicitly maintains the individual bases within reads. I had always assumed that the base calls at each position were ordered readwise, but it occurs to me that this may not be the case.
Anyway, it sounds like a tool to do this conversion probably doesn't exist. Thank you for your input.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
-
by SEQadmin2
The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.
This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...-
Channel: Articles
09-01-2026, 05:41 AM -
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
27 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
24 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
45 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
|
1 response
55 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:12 AM
|
Comment