No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3'UTR length from RNA-seq

Hi all,

Is there a way the measure 3'UTR length from RNA-Seq Data?
    And does there exist GTF tracks containing genes with sorted 3'UTR length?

Best

Shorted 3' UTR length analysis in RNA-Seq data

Hi Palgrave,

Did you get any answer for this query????

Actually I am looking for some tool or pipeline to identify shorted 3' UTR from RNA-Seq data. I have illumina HiSeq 2000 100 base PE data for human.

Best

Comment

No I did not. Maybe anyone knows??

Comment

Unless the protocol was specifically designed to identify mRNAs 3' ends, each RNA-seq read can originate from anywhere within a (processed) transcript. Identifying 3'UTRs is not a trivial task. You can look for the reads that map into known 3'UTRs by comparing the alignment file with a gene annotation though (BEDtools, HTSeq etc).
        You can download a GFF or BED file with annotated 3'UTRs from the UCSC table browser for instance, given that your species of interest is available. Select the genes and gene predictions category, BED format, then on the second page you can specify "3'UTRs".

Comment

Well, UTR from RNAseq data seems like an oxymoron to me?

If you have 100bp PE and it overlaps to 3' UTR, you could try making your own UTR GTF from Biomart? Then use this to guide a UTR-specific alignment?

Comment

Originally posted by bruce01 View Post
            Well, UTR from RNAseq data seems like an oxymoron to me?

If you have 100bp PE and it overlaps to 3' UTR, you could try making your own UTR GTF from Biomart? Then use this to guide a UTR-specific alignment?
            Delineating the "3'UTRome" with RNA-seq is not impossible: see here and here for instance. These were specific protocols though.
            From a standard RNA-seq data you can still try to get an idea about potential 3'UTRs extension by looking at the reads that overlap annotated 3'UTRs and/or map downstream of the polyadenylation point as you suggest, however keep in mind that each read can come from a different transcript -and even from a different gene- in which this position might be coding. In other words, a same genomic region can be annotated as UTR, CDS, intronic etc depending on the annotated mRNA you consider -not mentioning overlapping genes.
            Anyway, coming back to the original question ("can you estimate 3'UTR length from RNA-seq data") my answer would be "no".

Comment

So it's called "3P-seq", a new one on me! If you were strict enough with the alignment from a custom-made GTF that only took a certain amount of 3' it might work, but these sorts of things (in my experience) give very uncertain answers.

Comment

My hypothesis is that longer 3'UTR-isoforms are down-regulated in treated cells to escape miRNA targeting.

I have require the FASTA sequence and the Coordinates for all RefSeq 3'UTR from UCSC. Perhaps one could see if there is a significant difference between the number of reads that map to start of the 3'UTR compared to the end?

Maybe cufflinks could be used to look for isoforms, and then group these isoforms with regard to the 3'UTR?

Comment

I would start by considering the already annotated isoforms that differ by their 3'UTRs (if any).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses