No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane-SAM Files: Effect on @RG & Duplicates

Hi

I have one individual genome reads grouped into 17 lanes, each lane is divided into 10 fastq files. In other words, I have 17 folders each of them correspond to one lane and contain 10 fastq files, so I have in total 170 fastq files. I need to map each of the 170 fastq file to hg19 and merge all SAMs to one big SAM, but I am not sure if it is the right thing to do.

1) For duplicates removal, should I merge the 10 SAMs that correspond to one lane, remove the duplicates from this merged SAM , do so for all lanes -merged-SAM (17 lane-merged-SAMs), and then merge them to one big ? OR should I remove duplicates after merging all SAMs (170 SAMs) to one big ? In other words, removing the duplicates is done for each lane alignment or it doesn't matter ?

2) For @RG tag, and specifically the ID, is it going to be different for each of the 170 SAMs or should I give all SAMs that come from one lane (10 SAMs that are in one folder) the same ID ?

3) After merging (either merging SAMs that comes from one specific lane or merging all 170 SAMs in one big SAM), how should I write the @RG header and ID ?

Thanks

PCR duplicates could appear in different lanes, and it's all one sample so it should all have the sample Read Group. I would do it in this order: map each fastq file, merge bam files, remove duplicates and add read group.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Renwick View Post
      PCR duplicates could appear in different lanes, and it's all one sample so it should all have the sample Read Group. I would do it in this order: map each fastq file, merge bam files, remove duplicates and add read group.
      and what about quality recalibration ? should I do it after merging all or before ?

Comment

If the experiment was done well, lanes should not affect the data. Pool the data before recalibrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Renwick View Post
          If the experiment was done well, lanes should not affect the data. Pool the data before recalibrating.
          Using 64 G RAM and 8 CPU is it possible to merge all Genome fastq files and align them to one SAM using BWA instead of align each separately ? And how long you think it will take ?

Comment

The time will depend on how many reads you have. Probably several hours. BWA can be multithreaded to use all 8 CPUs. Mapping will probably take a day or two.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses