Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duplicates

I have Illumina pair-ended seq data. I try to remove duplicates from each DNA fragment.

For example, I have two pairs reads. A1 A2 and B1 B2. After Bowtie alignment, I have data as follows:

pair A ----------- chr ----------- strand ----------- position ----------- mate

A1 ----------- chr3 ----------- plus ------------- 37 ----------- 1
    A2 ----------- chr3 ------------ minus ----------- 137 ----------- 2

pair B ----------- chr ----------- strand ----------- position ----------- mate

B2 ----------- chr3 ----------- plus --------------- 37 ----------- 2
    B1 ----------- chr3 ------------ minus ----------- 137 ----------- 1

The only difference between pair A and pair B is the mate. Are pair A and pair B are duplicated? Thanks!
    Last edited by inzaghi; 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM.

I don't quite understand your question. In general, any reads that come from the same original biological template strands are duplicates. In reality, if two reads come from the same biological template but one has incurred a PCR error, should they be considered duplicates? It would be harder to say for certain that they came from the same biological template.

Picard MarkDuplicates, for paired end reads, works by looking at the 5' alignment position of each mate; if these match a different paired read then it considers those two pairs to be duplicates, even if some of the bases are different due to errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
      I don't quite understand your question. In general, any reads that come from the same original biological template strands are duplicates. In reality, if two reads come from the same biological template but one has incurred a PCR error, should they be considered duplicates? It would be harder to say for certain that they came from the same biological template.

Picard MarkDuplicates, for paired end reads, works by looking at the 5' alignment position of each mate; if these match a different paired read then it considers those two pairs to be duplicates, even if some of the bases are different due to errors.
      Hi Heisman, thanks for your reply

Picard MarkDuplicates, for paired end reads. Does that mean reads from mate 1 must match reads from mate 1 and reads from mate2 must match reads from mate2 ?

I mean if reads from mate 1 could match reads from mate 2.

Comment

Originally posted by inzaghi View Post
        Hi Heisman, thanks for your reply

Picard MarkDuplicates, for paired end reads. Does that mean reads from mate 1 must match reads from mate 1 and reads from mate2 must match reads from mate2 ?

I mean if reads from mate 1 could match reads from mate 2.
        Ok, I understand, I think. If you have a paired read with mates A and B, and a second paired read with mates A' and B', would it be a duplicate read if:

1. A matched A' and B matched B'

2. A matched B' and B matched A'

If the reads are mapped with the same orientation, then I believe there is really no meaning to separating scenario 1 and 2 above. So, in that sense, in both scenarios they would be duplicates.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
          Ok, I understand, I think. If you have a paired read with mates A and B, and a second paired read with mates A' and B', would it be a duplicate read if:

1. A matched A' and B matched B'

2. A matched B' and B matched A'

If the reads are mapped with the same orientation, then I believe there is really no meaning to separating scenario 1 and 2 above. So, in that sense, in both scenarios they would be duplicates.
          Hi Heisman,

You explain very well

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

Comment

Hi folks,
            I used Picard to remove duplicates but it removed around 60% of the reads (samtolls rmdup removed even more). That seems quite a lot - I have heard around 30% is normal.

My library was performed with RiboMinus so there are likely some Ribosomal sequences in the library. Could that account for the massive amount of removed reads?

thanks,
            blanco

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses