No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipeline for ion torrent data

Hi,
    I just received one ion torrent data to test (sample.fastq). I wanted to have the community's point of view on what I am doing.

1/ aligning the reads
    -------------------------
    I use:
    $bwa -aln hg19ref.fa sample.fastq > sample.sai
    $bwa samse -r "@RG\tID:IDa\tSM:sample\tPL:PL" hg19ref.fa sample.sai sample.fastq > sample.sam
    $java -Xmx4g -jar picard/SortSam.jar SO=coordinate INPUT=sample.sam OUTPUT=sample.bam VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT CREATE_INDEX=true

looking to flagstat, I get:
    428427 in total
    0 QC failure
    0 duplicates
    373491 mapped (87.18%)

RMK/questions:
    * should I rather use bwa -bwasw ?? or bowtie2??
    * is the platform header information included in the sam used somewhere?

2/ gatk1.3 guideline: realigning reads, etc.
    -----------------------------------------------

ooooo Marking PCR duplicates BAM ooooo
    java -Xmx4g -jar picard/MarkDuplicates.jar INPUT=sample.bam OUTPUT=sample.marked.bam METRICS_FILE=metrics VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT

ooooo Indexing MARKED BAM ooooooooo '
    samtools index sample.marked.bam

ooooo Realignment around indels (1) create Indels Table ooooo
    java -Xmx4g -jar gatk.jar -T RealignerTargetCreator -R hg19ref.fa -filterMBQ -nt 16 --known GATK_1000G_PHASE1_INDELS --known GATK_MILLS1000G_GOLD_INDELS -o indeltablelist -I sample.marked.bam

ooooo Realignment around indels (2) realigns reads around those targets ooooo
    java -Xmx4g -jar gatk.jar -I sample.marked.bam -R hg19ref.fa -filterMBQ -known GATK_1000G_PHASE1_INDELS -known GATK_MILLS1000G_GOLD_INDELS -T IndelRealigner -targetIntervals indeltablelist -o sample.marked.realigned.bam

ooooo Fix mate for pair end reads oooooooo '
    java -Xmx4g -jar picard/FixMateInformation.jar INPUT=sample.marked.realigned.bam
    OUTPUT=sample.marked.realigned.fixed.bam SO=coordinate VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT CREATE_INDEX=true

ooooo Quality score recalibration (1) Countcovariates oooooooo
    java -Xmx4g -jar gatk.jar -l INFO -R hg19ref.fa -nt 16 -knownSites:dbsnp,VCF dbsnp_135.b37.vcf -I sample.marked.realigned.fixed.bam -T CountCovariates -cov ReadGroupCovariate -cov QualityScoreCovariate -cov CycleCovariate -cov DinucCovariate -recalFile sample.recal_data.csv

RMK: This was failing with gatk 1.5 (complaining that the platform was unknown - wanted illumina or 454 or solid). It seems it works with gatk1.6

ooooo Quality score recalibration (2) Tablerecalibration oooooooo '
    java -Xmx4g -jar gatk.jar -l INFO -R hg19ref.fa -I sample.marked.realigned.fixed.bam -T TableRecalibration --out sample.marked.realigned.fixed.recal.bam -recalFile sample.recal_data.csv

Does it looks ok?
    Then calling the variant using the rest of the pipeline guideline.

any comments?
    thanks
    tuka

hi aituka,
    i was trying to figure out how to use GATK with torrent data as well. More or less i ended up with something similar to your pipeline. But my customers gave me some info about expected deletions which i could not find using that pipeline. Turned out to be a problem with markduplicate step. After the marking lots of SNP and Indels disappear from the vcf even though one can see the expected deletion in the bam file when using IGV.

So for now after i add readgroup, sort and index the bam file i directly go to UnifiedGenotyper and VariantFiltration from GATK. So i skip all recalibration and etc. Interestingly the results with and without recalibration,both excluding markduplicates are almost identical.

Btw, i use 'bwa bwasw' to align my data to human.

Comment

Hi tuka,
      I do agree with kenietz. The markduplicate trick might remove too much reads. The problem relates to this post: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6854 (Removing duplicates is it really necessary?). When sequencing the whole exome, you don't expect too much duplicates. Removing them might be a good option to avoid PCR duplicates. However, in targeted sequencing, it might be natural to have a lot of duplicates. Removing them might not be the good option.

In an example of ion PGM data, I got:
      429,424 reads, among which I could align (bwa bwasw) 383,091 (89.21%) reads.
      But there was 371,738 duplicates !

As for Kenietz, results with or without duplicates were identical.

Comment

@colinmolter:
        exactly the same situation. i have this targeted reseq with coverage of 1000-2000x and around 95% of the reads were marked duplicates.
        Its sad that the documentation on GATK is not enough. But unfortunately that is the situation one can not describe all possibilities and hence sometimes when one follows the general guide one is getting lost. Is good that there are many forums around tho

Cheers

Comment

Hi guys,
          what argument did you use for UnifiedGenotyper and VariantFiltration?

Comment

Originally posted by kenietz View Post
            Hi guys,
            what argument did you use for UnifiedGenotyper and VariantFiltration?
            I used something like this:

Code:
            java -Xmx4g -jar gatk.jar -T UnifiedGenotyper -R bwa6.1/h_g1k_v37.fasta -L targetintervals.bed -nt 16 -A AlleleBalance -A DepthOfCoverage -stand_call_conf 30.0 -stand_emit_conf 10 -glm BOTH --dbsnp dbsnp_135.b37.vcf -o DS.SNV.all.vcf -metrics DS.SNV.all.vcf.metric -I s1.bam -I s2.bam
            what about yours?
            any comments?
            colin

Comment

Hi colin,
              i followed a guide for GATK for Illumina which i found on this site. But had to modify it just a tiny bit.

`java -jar /opt/GATK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -R $refgen -T UnifiedGenotyper -I realigned.recal.bam --dbsnp /mnt/hd/GATK_recource_bundle/hg19/dbsnp_135.hg19.vcf.reordered -o gatk_var.raw.vcf --num_threads 8 -L pbrm1_intervals.bed --genotype_likelihoods_model BOTH --metrics_file snp.metrics -stand_call_conf 30 -stand_emit_conf 10 -A DepthOfCoverage -A AlleleBalance`;

`java -Xmx4g -jar /opt/GATK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -R $refgen -T VariantFiltration --variant gatk_var.raw.vcf -o gatk_var_filtered.vcf --clusterWindowSize 10 --filterExpression "MQ0 >= 4 && ((MQ0 / (1.0 * DP)) > 0.1)" --filterName "HARD_TO_VALIDATE" --filterExpression "DP < 5 " --filterName "LowCoverage" --filterExpression "QUAL < 30.0 " --filterName "VeryLowQual" --filterExpression "QUAL > 30.0 && QUAL < 50.0 " --filterName "LowQual" --filterExpression "QD < 1.5 " --filterName "LowQD" --filterExpression "SB > -10.0 " --filterName "StrandBias"`;

Seems that results from GATK and VariantCaller plugin from torrent suite differ
              Now trying to make the standalone variantcaller to run. Partial success for now tho

Comment

Has anyone tried TMAP over BWA?

Comment

@genericforms

I am sorry, but I am not sure if your question is more general or specifically towards this problem.

In case it is more general, then yes I have tried both TMAP and BWA on our datasets and it seems like there is not much of a difference if you select the right BWA algorithm (aln-samse / bwasw).. As TMAP selects the appropriate algorithm based on the characteristics (most probably read length).. unless off-course TMAP decides to run SSAHA, which would give different results.

Thanks,
                  Praful

Comment

Originally posted by aggp11 View Post
                    @genericforms

I am sorry, but I am not sure if your question is more general or specifically towards this problem.

In case it is more general, then yes I have tried both TMAP and BWA on our datasets and it seems like there is not much of a difference if you select the right BWA algorithm (aln-samse / bwasw).. As TMAP selects the appropriate algorithm based on the characteristics (most probably read length).. unless off-course TMAP decides to run SSAHA, which would give different results.

Thanks,
                    Praful
                    Yes, I was curious in your experience how BWA-SW matches up to TMAP...

Comment

Originally posted by aggp11 View Post
                      @genericforms

Thanks,
                      Praful

Simulate some Ion 100-200bp human data and compare the two software for yourself (included are the simulator, simulation results evaluator, and plotting software
                      . Feel free to create a new post to give feedback

Comment

We are working on it Nils. In a moment of weakness I got lazy and wanted to know if someone had already looked into this...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses