For a specific application I need to display the 5' ends of reads in a genome browser - so far I haven't found a way to easily trim all the reads in a BAM file down to the first basepairs. I obviously need to retain mapping information so I can't just trim the reads in FASTQ.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Define "retain mapping information"; do you need the information provided by the CIGARs? If you don't, such trimming is straightforward with a simple script chopping off the bases and qualities in the BAM (pipe "samtools view -h" into a script which skips over the headers, then for each line cuts down columns 10 and 11 to the desired length, and just replaces the CIGAR field with a *, piped into "samtools view -bS").
If you need to retain the information in the CIGARs properly, it becomes more messy, as you'd want to think about how to handle soft-clippings and indels.
-
Ok, so something along the lines of what's suggested in http://seqanswers.com/forums/showpos...53&postcount=2.
I don't think SeqMonk cares about the CIGAR information, so it should be fine.
Comment
-
Yes, basically. I'd really replace the CIGAR with a * though, to make the SAM/BAM file standardized. You might want to check how to decide on which side of the read sequence in the BAM is 5'/3' (in the read, not alignment sense as I understand the SAM spec) however, didn't think about that.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
43 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
52 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
42 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment