Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumor/Normal comparison tool for VCF?

Sorry for this newbie question but I haven't been able to get an answer after searching around. Is there a program that automagically produces the somatic mutations from inputted tumor and normal VCF files? I'm trying to avoid using a tool like SomaticSniper with BAM files because of size/computation etc. If I have the VCF files, is there an easy way to just select the differences?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

Originally posted by NGSNewbie1 View Post
    Sorry for this newbie question but I haven't been able to get an answer after searching around. Is there a program that automagically produces the somatic mutations from inputted tumor and normal VCF files? I'm trying to avoid using a tool like SomaticSniper with BAM files because of size/computation etc. If I have the VCF files, is there an easy way to just select the differences?

The thing is that these tools like SomaticSniper are designed to work on the bam files for a reason. Whilst a subtractive approach with VCFs will work for some somatic calls, most genotypers aren't really geared up for variant detection in heterogenous cancer samples.

NGS is not always speedy work, sometimes it's better just to use the tools than take the shortcuts

Comment

Are there any targeted therapies in the work after you did this type of comparison?

Comment

Another one from Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ymc View Post
          Are there any targeted therapies in the work after you did this type of comparison?
          If that's directed at me - not in the case of my exome work, but I do work on small, targeted cancer panel development for stratified medicine.

Your also posted Strelka and JointSNVMix - I find the latter somewhat confusing to get to grips with, Strelka is on my to do list. I tend to use VarScan2 for paired comparisons for e.g. copy number. Neither as far as I am concerned answer the question from the OP as they both require BAM files for input.

Comment

Originally posted by NGSNewbie1 View Post

While I'm uncertain that the results will really be what you're looking for, this can be done using GATK's SelectVariants with the --discordance flag (see http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/ga...tVariants.html for details).

Unfortunately, unless you already have GATK up and running, this is not a trivial task (as getting GATK functioning properly can be a bit tricky).

As mentioned by others though, tumor/normal paired variant calling generally seems to be carried out by a program specifically developed for that purpose (VarScan2, SMUG, and MuTect being the ones with which I am familiar).

Sorry there's not a better answer, but I hope this helps a bit.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by SkinFlayer View Post
              While I'm uncertain that the results will really be what you're looking for, this can be done using GATK's SelectVariants with the --discordance flag (see http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/ga...tVariants.html for details).

Unfortunately, unless you already have GATK up and running, this is not a trivial task (as getting GATK functioning properly can be a bit tricky).

As mentioned by others though, tumor/normal paired variant calling generally seems to be carried out by a program specifically developed for that purpose (VarScan2, SMUG, and MuTect being the ones with which I am familiar).

Sorry there's not a better answer, but I hope this helps a bit.

Jason
              Hi,

Do you know how to annotate the output from MuTect? I have 3800 mutation calls and I am stuck..

Comment

@shyam_la

I reformatted mine to something that ensembl variant effect predictor can read and went for that during testing.

And to the others - if someone has advice which of the tools out there comes with a good false discovery rate, i am listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseless View Post
                  @shyam_la

I reformatted mine to something that ensembl variant effect predictor can read and went for that during testing.

And to the others - if someone has advice which of the tools out there comes with a good false discovery rate, i am listening.
                  I discovered SNPEff works as well, with MuTect data. Just need removing the redundant columns...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses