No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowtie output to gff3

Hello all,

I have finished aligning about 50 samples to a reference genome using bowtie. Now, I need the output in GFF3 format. Is there anyway I can convert Bowtie output files to GFF3 without the need to redo the alignment with another software. I see there are many columns in common between the two formats.

Any help is appreciated!

I'm not aware of a direct converter, but theoretically you could feed a BAM into BEDTools BamToBed and push the BED through GenomeTools bed_to_gff3.
    I would probably write a converter script myself though, since (possibly important) metadata will get lost on the way. I guess you have specific wishes for the GFF format as well.

Comment

Thank you, I was thinking with the second option as i have some coding experience. But thought there might be something ready made

Comment

What kind of tools produce gff3 as output ??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Amative View Post
          What kind of tools produce gff3 as output ??

Thanks
          Gene predictors and older short read aligners (pre-SAM). Many tools made within the framework of GMOD use GFF(2/3) to exchange functional information about genomes. You'll find more information on http://gmod.org/wiki/GFF.
          What I like with GFF is that many visualization software packages have basic support for it and that it is fairly easy to parse and produce, the main disadvantage is the lack of standardization - something that GTF seems to be more succesful at (though less generic than GFF). An advantage in comparison with the BED format is that you can create a feature hierarchy (with theoretically unlimited depth) fairly simple, though not all visualization tools support this.

Comment

Thanks Arvid for the helpful link .
            Well, I asked the previous question for one reason. Up in my first post i mentioned that I have a group of samples (RNA-Seq short reads) That I doing some analysis on them. Now I am required to represent the alignment results using Gbrowse. When I started reading about Gbrowse they mentioned that it accepts gff3 format. So, Now i don't know what to do:
            1) Should I convert the alignment output i got from bowtie?
            2) Should I redo the alignment using another tool that produce gff3 so that i can use it with gbrowse right away? What are these tools?

Any other suggestions are appreciated
            Thanks

Comment

IMHO you do neither 1 nor 2, but instead display the BAM in GBrowse directly and/or use a bigWig track to display coverage when zoomed out. Importing GFF will make the database huge and probably lag down the user interface.

It is a bit outdated, but probably the place to start: http://gmod.org/wiki/GBrowse_NGS_Tutorial; you could probably start at "Tell GBrowse About the SAM Files" since much of the manual steps they do before aren't applicable anymore (unmunging etc.) - just make sure you have a coordinate-sorted and indexed BAM, and you should be good to go.

Comment

Thank you, I'll try your suggestion and get back to you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses