Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All,

I am confused with how to match the "XLOC" to the gene annotation. I could see the most diff. expressed XLOC but i do not know the annotation for them (the XLOC is not really useful, i need the annotation).

I run cufflink doing:
    $cufflinks -p 8 -o C1_R1_clout C1_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam

Should i do :
    $cufflinks -p 8 -o -G C1_R1_clout C1_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam

this G is not added in the original protocol but apparently it should be added?
    Please let me know!

many thanks

Comment

If you have a reference annotation then you might as well make your life easier and use it. I think you can do this after the fact with cuffmerge, but you'll probably get better results just using the annotation from the get-go.

Comment

thanks, so why does the protocol not say that??? Anyways, i will re-run it with -G now (just to double check with the -G before output):

$cufflinks -p 20 -G genes.gtf -o 02_cufflinks_CTR_R1.Q30.L50.fq 01_tophat2_CTR_R1.Q30.L50.fq/accepted_hits.bam

Thanks again
        G

Comment

That paper is just a simple example of how to use the package, it doesn't give details on every possible analysis (that'd be impossible). Odds are that you want -g rather than -G.

Comment

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.
            When I look in cufflinks v2.2.1 -G vs -g this is what it says (below). I am sure what the difference is. Do you still think i should use -g (lower case g). For example:

$cufflinks -p 20 -g genes.gtf -o 02_cufflinks_CTR_R1.Q30.L50.fq 01_tophat2_CTR_R1.Q30.L50.fq/accepted_hits.bam

cufflinks v2.2.1
            -----------------
            -G/--GTF quantitate against reference transcript annotations
            -g/--GTF-guide use reference transcript annotation to guide assembly

Comment

...sorry, i am NOT sure ...

Comment

I'll just mention that if you use -G then there's no point in using cufflinks at all (this probably just becomes a slower version of cuffquant or rsem with -G). Much of the point of cufflinks is to find either new features in your genome or modify existing ones to better match your dataset. With the -G option, you're telling cufflinks to not do any of that. That's fine, but cufflinks is slow, so there are much faster ways of going about getting that information. So, you want -g.

Comment

ok, thanks very much for the information
                  G

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Today, 12:17 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 10:49 AM
                  0 responses