No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpretation of Picard's MEDIAN_CV_COVERAGE

Dear all,

We just performed an RNA-seq experiment from human samples. To get some idea of the quality, I ran Picard's CollectRNASeqMetrics.
    In the output, I find 'MEAN_CV_COVERAGE'. The explanation for this value is also on the website: the median CV of coverage of the 1000 most highly expressed transcripts.

I'm not really sure what CV means. And how can I interpret this value? The value I get is 0.48. If I think of this as 48x coverage, this seems really a lot to me. Especially since visualisation with IGV shows me a lower coverage.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
    Lien

Originally posted by Lien View Post
    Dear all,

We just performed an RNA-seq experiment from human samples. To get some idea of the quality, I ran Picard's CollectRNASeqMetrics.
    In the output, I find 'MEAN_CV_COVERAGE'. The explanation for this value is also on the website: the median CV of coverage of the 1000 most highly expressed transcripts.

I'm not really sure what CV means. And how can I interpret this value? The value I get is 0.48. If I think of this as 48x coverage, this seems really a lot to me. Especially since visualisation with IGV shows me a lower coverage.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
    Lien
    I always assumed CV referred to the coefficient of variation:

As in 'mean coefficient of variation of coverage'

Although happy to be proved wrong.

Comment

from the javadoc

According to the javadoc:
      "The median CV of coverage of the 1000 most highly expressed transcripts. Ideal value = 0."

What is confusing me though is it looks like this involves the coefficient of variation (sample sd)/(sample mean). Since this number is reported for a single RNA-seq bam file, I am wondering where the population is coming from? It looks like the only way to get at an sd or mean from the above description is by looking at the coverage of the top 1000 transcripts. That would give you a single number, not something you could take the median of. Pretty sure I am missing something here.

http://picard.sourceforge.net/javadoc/net/sf/picard/analysis/RnaSeqMetrics.html#MEDIAN_CV_COVERAGE

Comment

What use of MEDIAN_CV_COVERAGE

Originally posted by jstjohn View Post
        According to the javadoc:
        "The median CV of coverage of the 1000 most highly expressed transcripts. Ideal value = 0."

What is confusing me though is it looks like this involves the coefficient of variation (sample sd)/(sample mean). Since this number is reported for a single RNA-seq bam file, I am wondering where the population is coming from? It looks like the only way to get at an sd or mean from the above description is by looking at the coverage of the top 1000 transcripts. That would give you a single number, not something you could take the median of. Pretty sure I am missing something here.

http://picard.sourceforge.net/javadoc/net/sf/picard/analysis/RnaSeqMetrics.html#MEDIAN_CV_COVERAGE
        According to the definition, MEDIAN_CV_COVERAGE is "The median CV of coverage of the 1000 most highly expressed transcripts. Ideal value = 0." I think the variation should be very large, because there will be several gene expressed at very high value. Then, why the ideal value is "0"? "0" means the variation is zero, it not consistent with the fact.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses