No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEGAN command line without X11?

Hi all,

I just install Mac OS 10.8 and it turns out that X11 is no longer part of the install. I have been running MEGAN via X11 in the past (command line), but I'm wondering if there is a way to run it without X11 requirements?

I launch it in 'non-GUI' mode, but apparently it still needs a GUI:

Code:
    ./MEGAN +w +s +g -x <commands>
    I have tried various combinations of +g, +w, +s, etc., but it always fails to run with the following (X11 requirement) error:

Code:
    No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
    java.awt.HeadlessException
    Thanks very much in advance

This might work : http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/
    The XQuartz project is an open-source effort to develop a version of the X.Org X Window System that runs on OS X. Together with supporting libraries and applications, it forms the X11.app that Apple has shipped with OS X since version 10.5

Comment

Originally posted by kga1978 View Post
      Hi all,

I just install Mac OS 10.8 and it turns out that X11 is no longer part of the install. I have been running MEGAN via X11 in the past (command line), but I'm wondering if there is a way to run it without X11 requirements?

I launch it in 'non-GUI' mode, but apparently it still needs a GUI:

Code:
      ./MEGAN +w +s +g -x <commands>
      I have tried various combinations of +g, +w, +s, etc., but it always fails to run with the following (X11 requirement) error:

Code:
      No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
      java.awt.HeadlessException
      Thanks very much in advance

If you are not trying to submit a PBS job for megan, you can try the following commands:

./MEGAN +g false -x <commands>

Here is my terminal:

$ MEGAN +g false -x "import blastfile=test.blastx.out meganfile=test.blastx.rma"
      Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx1365333k
      MEGAN (version 4.68.1, built 8 Jun 2012)
      Message - License type: Academic
      Licensed to user: deleted
      Academic institution: deleted
      Email: deleted

File name: ncbi.tre
      Loading mapping file: ncbi.map
      Load mapping:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses