Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sh: samtools: command not found (Tophat)

Dear all,

I have been using tophat for my RNA-seq data. The command line I'm using is the standard: ./tophat -p 8 -G /path_to_genes.gtf/ -o <output_folder> /path_to_genome_index/ XXX.fastq

Tophat runs happily, finds bowtie and samtools, checks for bowtie index, Fasta reference, generates SAM header... all goes well and I have 4 outputs: accepted_hits.bam deletions.bam insertions.bam and junctions.bam... However, when the sam version of accepted_hits.bam is going to be written, samtools fails and I get a message saying sh:samtools: command not found...
    Having gone through with the bam files till the very end (cufflinks then cuffdiff and R), I seem to get the analysis running but I don't understand why samtools fails during the mapping.... Tophat clearly recognises it at first.. and ./samtools <options> work nicely for other applications.
    Just to add I have used samtools-0.1.17.tar.bz2 (I'm on a iMac) untar ed it and cp ed it into my working path (I haven't got permission for /usr/bin), I have also cp ed libbam.a into my working directory...
    Can anyone help me
    Cheers
    lj907

Moved to a more appropriate forum

Comment

Perhaps you can add your working directory to the $PATH environment variable, if that is where your copy of samtools is?

Personally, I use $HOME/bin for things I install under my own account, and put that on the $PATH. Most Linux tools can be installed in this way, if they use a configure script try adding --prefix=$HOME to this.

Comment

Cheers Peter, I'm copying executables into $HOME/bin

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses